Good (world) news for a change...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
In a the recent election in Lebanon, Iran supported Hezbollah lost to Harari (son of Harari), so we have dodged a bullet for now regarding expanding Iranian hegemony in the region. Formal government control of Lebanon in combination with Hezbollahs militia would be a significant force in the region.  Hopefully enemies of Lebanon (syria-Iran) won't revert to their classic means of leadership influence ( car bombs). The investigation into the assassination of the elder Harari was not very satisfying IMO. Typical mealy mouthed UN pandering.

Next shoe to drop is the imminent pending election in Iran. There is little expectation that Achiminijad will get voted out. Despite Carter's rubber stamp blessings, these elections are usually manipulated. Achiminijad just gave teachers a 30% raise last year so he has their support. They are at least going through the motions of a fair election and he has visible opposition. The recent visit by Obama to  Buchenwald was obvious juxtaposition to Achiminijads holocaust denials (Obama's recent visit to Dresden was less opaque). This vote is worth watching if not just to see the margin he gets.

In more good news the tribal fighters in Pakistan are still kicking taliban ass, but that continues to be like playing whack-a-mole. They will just pop up some where else until Afghanistan and Pakistan can enforce stable rule of (real) law across the entire region. 

I won't list all the bad news... N korea is still long over due for a spanking. China could squash them like a bug, but then they would have to deal with the destitute citizens who would stream over their common border. China is selfishly tolerating his bad behavior for pure economic self interest. 

JR

I'm interested to see the results in Iran Friday.  I've been reminding my facebook friends in Iran to vote.  They tend to have low voter turnouts, but this one is heated up so there could be an upset.  The country seems to swing from conservatives to reformers, while having little real impact on the nations trajectory or human rights.  Ahmedinejad has been an especially "effective" hardliner, so any bounce back away from that will be an improvement.  We'll see what happens.  Pessimism is never a risky position when it comes to the Middle East, but maybe we'll see a "change" in Iran.

There was an article about a 3rd party group who did a blind phone survey to normal citizens in Iran.  Some of the questions were over peace deals with Israel and the USA.

77% of people surveyed supported a peace deal with the USA.

Ah, here it is:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/meast/06/08/ballen.iran/index.html

I know some Iranians and they say the same thing, that normal Iranian citizens LIKE the USA and would love to have a normal relationship with the USA but BOTH the political regime in Iran AND in the USA tend to bend the truth in order to gain support for their political moves.

Lets just hope that Iran can vote out their version of Bush and we can move towards being friends again.  Iran is a smart and powerful country and would make a much better ally than an enemy.

As an Italian-American, I would also like to see Berlusconi out of office just because he's embarrassing.  While we're at it, let's vote out Mugabe, Omar al-Bashir, everyone from Hamas (please, Gaza, it's for your own good!)... I'm sure we could all name some others.

In my own (admittedly rather sketchy) understanding of the Iranian power system, Ahmedinejad is effectively subject to limitations imposed by Ayatollah Khomenei... (and I may have murdered the spelling of both of those names!) -Basically the running of the country I understand to be the President's purview, although entirely governed and limited by the theocracy presently led by the Ayatollah.

As long as the ruling theocracy sees America as the head of the serpent, NO president shall ever be free to explore truly 'friendly' relations.

I remember when Berlusconi was elected (I was in Rome with my wife at the time) and I really didn't fully understand the furor or 'scaremongering' about why he might be so bad. -Mind you I see it now. -But although he unquestionably manipulates the media for political means, I don't think it's gone as badly as it could have on the whole...

-That being said, poor Italy had been deprived of good STABLE government for so long (my recollected impression is one of a succession of short-lived wobbly coalition governments) that simply having some sort of stability appears in itself to have been a good thing.

Keith

in that case i call for the UK to vote out its political system, cos it just dont work, full stop/period/exclamation mark

Yes,  Keith has it right.. ever since the Shah was over thrown iran has been a tightly governed theocracy. The election is more for appearances and to keep the public in their box. While many are critical of our old foreign policy, with the Shah we had a good relationship with the Iranian people. They are a sophisticated and well educated population being held back by the revolution that their leaders are still pursuing across the region through their surrogates (Hamas, Hezbollah, Syria, etc. ).

Achiminijad (sp?) is just the front man for the mullahs and is very good at promoting the party line.  As I have offered before, the US and the west are, set up as an evil enemy to coalesce the public against (Death to America) and encourage them to rally in support of their leaders. Bush was correct to call BS on the rhetoric and plant a real democracy next door. The new kinder gentler policy of diplomacy seems indistinguishable from European appeasement that has helped them get this close to having a nuclear weapon. If anyone thinks them getting the bomb will end well, you are far more optimistic than I.

I stand by my opinion that the election will not change the international behavior of Iran. That said the defeat of Hezbollah in Lebanon, and their apparent acceptance of the election results (for now) will not be missed on the voters. Having a fledgling democracy (Iraq) right next door is another impossible to ignore influence.  It will be interesting to see the election results as a test of how well the mullahs are managing public opinion. 

JR

It's true that the foreign ministry and the Revolutionary Guard remain under control of the Supreme Leader.  A reformer will always be limited by that system and the Guardian Council that must approve their nomination, which is why not a lot changes except that people feel more hopeful.  I wonder if Ahmedinejad's rhetoric has repelled those who do not wish to appear ignorant enough to vote elsewhere.  At least with Mousavi doesn't deny the holocaust, chant "Death To America", and plan on an apocalyptic war with Israel in the near future.  Let's not forget that Iran gave the Coalition Forces the intel to connect to the Taliban's enemies in Afghanistan.  The President at that time was more friendly to the West, even though Iran's official position was as it is today.

granelli said:
It's true that the foreign ministry and the Revolutionary Guard remain under control of the Supreme Leader.  A reformer will always be limited by that system and the Guardian Council that must approve their nomination, which is why not a lot changes except that people feel more hopeful.  I wonder if Ahmedinejad's rhetoric has repelled those who do not wish to appear ignorant enough to vote elsewhere.  At least with Mousavi doesn't deny the holocaust, chant "Death To America", and plan on an apocalyptic war with Israel in the near future.  Let's not forget that Iran gave the Coalition Forces the intel to connect to the Taliban's enemies in Afghanistan.  The President at that time was more friendly to the West, even though Iran's official position was as it is today.

Yes, the Shia and Taliban do not exactly get along. This is an area of common ground that should be pursued. I recall something about private discussions last year. I doubt anyone would publicly admit to cooperating with us.

The Iran-Iraq war is a can of worms I'm not sure I'd like to rehash. In a classic case of strange bedfellows we were allied with Saddam because of our adversarial relationship with post-Shah Iran.

Mousavi doesn't seem to be backing down from the pursuit of nuclear weapons, but at this point prior to an election he may be saying what it takes to get elected, and after the election it probably isn't his call...

JR 

The new kinder gentler policy of diplomacy seems indistinguishable from European appeasement that has helped them get this close to having a nuclear weapon. If anyone thinks them getting the bomb will end well, you are far more optimistic than I.

Who says they even have a nuclear weapon?  Our government who always has an agenda?  I would have thought that we have learned something from the previous W.M.D. BS that we're still paying for at this moment.

I think some folks need think about what it is like to walk in someone else's shoes for a while.  While we are busy installing governments in other countries, Iran is pondering the frightful possibility that we are getting ready to invade it as well.  I know if I was living in a small country then I would be fearful of a larger country deciding that it didn't like my leader/wants my oil/whatever the true reason is for invading and killing/destroying everything that I have worked for.  I would expect nothing less of Iran to puff itself up like a cat and talk a lot of tough talk and hope that it scares the bigger monster away.  It's called bluffing.

The US does it all the time.  

Let's not forget that Iran gave the Coalition Forces the intel to connect to the Taliban's enemies in Afghanistan

What just recently happened in Iran?  They had a terrorist bombing.  Why hasn't Iran had more of them like a lot of the other Islamic countries?  Because they seem to stand on the side of the terrorists(which is against the USA).  Why? because it keeps the peace for a while, that's why.  Iran isn't just bluffing in an attempt to scare the USA away, they are also bluffing to scare the terrorists away too.  The terrorists(TM) want ALL governments that don't see 100% eye-to-eye with them to be destroyed.  Look at Pakistan.  It has an Islamic government but the Taliban wants to destroy it anyway.  Why? because it's not the Taliban's version of government.  Iran does not want the Taliban rolling into town and setting up shop.  Remember, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

So I have to ask, why can't we try to be friends with Iran?  It's obvious that the Iranian people want to be friends.  It's obvious that the theocracy in Iran has secretly made gestures to the US for a peace deal but the Bush administration brushed it off due to ego and ignorance.  The theocracy is actually surprisingly moderate compared to places like Saudi Arabia, so what IS so bad?  Is it simply because their "president" talks a lot of shit and they say that they don't like the USA?  Are we going to continue the "I don't like you because you don't like me" 3rd grad-ish games for the rest of eternity?  I certainly hope not.  It takes balls to step up to your enemy and show them that we DO care and that we don't want to bomb the shit out of them for whatever reason.  Once they see that we are legit, they will almost certainly change their tune somewhat.  Iran just doesn't want to be seen as weak and then be overrun with terrorists without the help of someone like the USA.

Before someone spouts the obvious response of "Ahmadinejad is a dictator and the theocracy is evil" or whatever, take a look at some of the countries that we are "friends" with, like (again) Saudi Arabia.  Their belief system AND their religious law is far worse on the people of that country than Iran's is on their people.  Iran allows women to vote, work alongside men AND go to school(all the way through college too!).  They allow women to marry who they want AND have divorces too.  They aren't treated like property.  

Our government is doing the right thing I think.  You can't shake hands if you both have fists clenched.

SSLtech said:
In my own (admittedly rather sketchy) understanding of the Iranian power system, Ahmedinejad is effectively subject to limitations imposed by Ayatollah Khomenei... (and I may have murdered the spelling of both of those names!).........

Keith

Keith, you are doing fine there with Ahmedinejad. Although Khomeini would give closer pronounciation, your version can also be correct in that sense.

Svart said:
The new kinder gentler policy of diplomacy seems indistinguishable from European appeasement that has helped them get this close to having a nuclear weapon. If anyone thinks them getting the bomb will end well, you are far more optimistic than I.

Who says they even have a nuclear weapon?
200px-Shah-nukeIran.jpg

They don't have one yet...  otherwise there would probably be a glowing crater where Tel Aviv was.  We actually started the Shah moving on a peaceful nuclear energy program but after the revolution in '79 those programs using western sources fell into disfavor but they have continued working on developing their own fuel cycle.

I can't prove something that hasn't happened yet, nor can I definitively prove intent. All we can do is observe their behavior and draw our best conclusions. They have reason to be distrustful of the west going back to the '50s. Their refusal to follow the nuclear inspections protocol now is inconsistent with their claims that they are not operating surreptitiously.

I truly hope you are right but looking at the history of so many other isolated nations, there is a compelling desire for a bigger gun, for more influence and respect from their neighbors. 
 Our government who always has an agenda?  I would have thought that we have learned something from the previous W.M.D. BS that we're still paying for at this moment.
I have posted at length about this..  so won't waste bits again.
I think some folks need think about what it is like to walk in someone else's shoes for a while.  While we are busy installing governments in other countries, Iran is pondering the frightful possibility that we are getting ready to invade it as well.  I know if I was living in a small country then I would be fearful of a larger country deciding that it didn't like my leader/wants my oil/whatever the true reason is for invading and killing/destroying everything that I have worked for.  I would expect nothing less of Iran to puff itself up like a cat and talk a lot of tough talk and hope that it scares the bigger monster away.  It's called bluffing.

The US does it all the time.  
Iran is very aware of how thinly we were spread between Iraq and Afghanistan. If anything they were taking advantage of that situation trying to provoke us into some kind of military incident with boats in the gulf, and were directly traced to supplying weapons and IEDs used in Iraq, killing US and Sunni.  Iran is pretty friendly with Iraqi Shia in the South, but have old scores with Sunni in Baghdad and Kurds in the North.
Let's not forget that Iran gave the Coalition Forces the intel to connect to the Taliban's enemies in Afghanistan

What just recently happened in Iran?  They had a terrorist bombing.  Why hasn't Iran had more of them like a lot of the other Islamic countries?  Because they seem to stand on the side of the terrorists(which is against the USA).  Why? because it keeps the peace for a while, that's why.  Iran isn't just bluffing in an attempt to scare the USA away, they are also bluffing to scare the terrorists away too.  The terrorists(TM) want ALL governments that don't see 100% eye-to-eye with them to be destroyed.  Look at Pakistan.  It has an Islamic government but the Taliban wants to destroy it anyway.  Why? because it's not the Taliban's version of government.  Iran does not want the Taliban rolling into town and setting up shop.  Remember, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Who do you think is the major supporter of terrorism (r) in the region. Hamas, and Hezbollah get major funding and arms from Iran. I just googled that terrorist bombing in Iran and the report is bizarre to say the least. They claim it was a US backed group linked to al-Qaeda. I find it hard to accept that is remotely Obama's foreign policy for Iran. I suspect it is likewise some left over Iraqi Sunni extremist group causing trouble for Shia in a region of Iran bordering on Pakistan and Afghanistan and reportedly a major opium trafficking route. 
So I have to ask, why can't we try to be friends with Iran?  It's obvious that the Iranian people want to be friends.  It's obvious that the theocracy in Iran has secretly made gestures to the US for a peace deal but the Bush administration brushed it off due to ego and ignorance.  The theocracy is actually surprisingly moderate compared to places like Saudi Arabia, so what IS so bad?  Is it simply because their "president" talks a lot of shit and they say that they don't like the USA?  Are we going to continue the "I don't like you because you don't like me" 3rd grad-ish games for the rest of eternity?  I certainly hope not.  It takes balls to step up to your enemy and show them that we DO care and that we don't want to bomb the shit out of them for whatever reason.  Once they see that we are legit, they will almost certainly change their tune somewhat.  Iran just doesn't want to be seen as weak and then be overrun with terrorists without the help of someone like the USA.
In international relations, especially troubled one's, it is not so much what leaders (or representatives of the leaders) say publicly as much as what they do. Iran's behavior is why they are perpetually on the wrong side of UN resolutions.

Regarding what they say, I watch a lot of middle eastern news and there is quite a lot of variance between Achiminijads speeches at Columbia or the UN for western consumption, vs. his speeches for domestic consumption. But like I said even about our politicians, don't listen to the words, look at their feet.
Before someone spouts the obvious response of "Ahmadinejad is a dictator and the theocracy is evil" or whatever, take a look at some of the countries that we are "friends" with, like (again) Saudi Arabia.  Their belief system AND their religious law is far worse on the people of that country than Iran's is on their people.  Iran allows women to vote, work alongside men AND go to school(all the way through college too!).  They allow women to marry who they want AND have divorces too.  They aren't treated like property.  

Our government is doing the right thing I think.  You can't shake hands if you both have fists clenched.

This is more old news but indeed our past foreign policy was based on simple self interest. Even the Shah in Iran was set up by a CIA coup. Our relationship with the Saudi's is transparently about their oil.

One noticeable change made by your BFF George Bush, was to be more consistent about applying diplomatic pressure on all totalitarian regimes to improve personal freedoms and human rights in their countries. We had more influence with them as business partners than not, but there is clearly a problem with women's rights and religious freedom in most of the middle east. The changes in Saudi Arabia are small and far from finished. I was apprehensive about our alignment with Musharef in Pakistan but he finally delivered a free election, while the new government is marginally strong enough to control their whole country. I am optimistic about their recent focus on the north, instead of pointing all their rifles at India on their southern border. To that end, Obama got criticism for making his speech in Egypt because that country has yet to truly open up it's democratic process. Speaking there is a tacit endorsement of that government's ongoing oppression.

In my view the world is more like 42nd street and times square, before Disney cleaned it up... a dangerous place where shaking hands with strangers could get you mugged.  The world is a dangerous place.. it's Ok to trust... but verify. If someone refuses to verify (IAEA protocols), I refuse to trust.

JR

Good response, John.  I like that ad for nuclear energy - it's getting more ironic over time.  Iran's nuclear program is definitely alarming.  They waste so much of their cheap fossil energy that it doesn't make sense to build the huge enrichment facilities they've built.  I know Mousavi has held that the program must continue, but I think that a vote for him is a break from the hard-liners, even if they still ultimately control the Republic.  It could signal a continuing shift among the general population toward a more pragmatic position that could eventually put common sense over a nuclear ambition that the world will eventually be forced to confront.  Even though the Supreme Leader insists on nuclear power in the face of crippling sanctions, the powers-that-be still have to keep a certain amount of the public on board or they could face their own revolution - although that seems so far from the realm of possibility right now.

Latest posts

Back