grammar

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mouse

it's = contraction meaning it is. the apostrophe always takes the place of a missing letter.

they're = they are. same idea, the apostrophe takes the place of the letter a.

its = possessive form of it. in most cases the possessive uses an apostrophe like jon's or velma's. in this case, however, there is no apostrophe. try to come up with a mental trick to remember it. the amazing kreskin memorized the entire manhattan phone book using mental tricks. kreskin also attributed part of his mental prowess to drinking fresh cranberry juice. i tried the cranberry juice protocol, but it didn't increase my intelligence.

your = possessive form of you.

you're = you are. again, the apostrophe takes the place of a missing letter.

their = possessive form of they. i.e.  their belongings, their preamps, their panties are in a twist.

definitely is spelled this way, not 'definately'. think of the root word 'finite' from which it is derived.

to = preposition. i am going to work. give the soldering iron to velma. in eighth grade mrs. bevoni made us memorize 70 prepositions in one week. tonight i learned that english has over 100 prepositions.

too = adverb. the price is too high. the dog runs too quickly.

two = number. one, two, three, four, etc.

then = noun, adjective, or adverb. if spot is a dog then he has four legs.

than = Than is a grammatical particle analyzed as both a conjunction and a preposition in the English language. It introduces a comparison, and is associated with comparatives and with words such as more, less, and fewer. Typically, it measures the force of an adjective or similar description between two predicates.

(incorrect) shaggy is smarter then velma. (correct) shaggy is smarter than velma.

who's = contraction for who is. the apostrophe takes the place of the missing letter i.

whose = possessive form of who. whose shoes are blue?

correct spelling of words like believe, receive, deceive, reprieve. the rule is: I before E except after C.

are = verb. shaggy and scooby are eating sandwiches.

our = possessive pronoun. our sandwiches are moldy.

(incorrect) are sandwiches are tasty. (correct) our mystery bus is very pretty.

correct spelling of separate. separate the two e's with two a's

lose and loose. lose is a verb and loose is and adjective. scooby doesn't like to lose his scooby snacks. shaggy's shirt is loose because shaggy is borderline anorexic. perhaps shaggy has a tapeworm infestation since he is always eating and never seems to gain weight. one can also loosen their pants. in this case loosen is a verb.

words that sound alike, but have different meanings are known as homonyms. who, whose, and who's are homonyms. as are their, they're, and there. homonyms have no sexual orientation. you don't have to move to vermont to use them.

"Accept" means to approve. most people ACCEPT that scooby doo was a good dog.

"Except" means to omit or leave out. i can't think of an example sentence for the word except.

lord balto has a nit to pick as well.

http://www.lordbalto.com/Error.htm

this is great - many of these things drive me nuts when I see them, and I'm far from a grammar expert.  I can understand it if you're ESL - we see plenty of that here, but my guess is most of us only speak English.

It'd also be cool to add some words that people use because they're supposably real words, but they're not.

I need to review these rules once a day.  I try to pay more attention to grammar these days but often find mistakes in a reply back from my sent email. 

My last name is Pfeifer.  I tell people i before e except after f.    New Rule.

Excellent!

I may print that out and hold it in the face of all those I know who have blatantly misused grammar.
Maybe even laminate it!

I'm not sure why it even bothers me so much. Sometimes I can forgive incorrect punctuation, typos and even misplaced capital letters but when people use completely the wrong word...
you cant even blame mobile phone 'TXT-SPK' for that!

it is are duty two correct there spellings an things, accept when its obviously intended, or forever suffer unreadable nonsense.

Then - Than

Now and then. Greater than. 

Effect - Affect

The game of pool is often used to demonstrate the principle of cause and effect.  The American singer's affect was using a British accent.

Principle - Principal

The principal explained the principle of discipline to me.

Break - Brake

The guy was driving at breakneck speeds; give me a break and use the brake.

(Full disclosure: I've been drinking!  Hope I didn't get something wrong ;) )

> if spot is a dog then he has four legs.
> shaggy and scooby are eating sandwiches.
> perhaps shaggy has a tapeworm infestation
> lord balto has a nit to pick as well.

Proper names are capitalized.

> words that sound alike, but have different meanings are

The first word of a sentence is capitalized.

fank ewe Mouse,

vats much betterer van wot i wuz doin befor, init . . .

Seriously, Thank you. There are many posters, whose first language is NOT English, who outperform many from these shores.

DISCLAIMER. I cannot use many keys on my keyboard, including question mark, exclamation mark. Plus sign etc. Hence the lack of correct punctuation . . . . .

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
      Seriously, Thank you. There are many posters, whose first language is NOT English, who outperform many from these shores.
 ANdyP

too true. sadly, just a walk around the block Most anywhere in the UK will demonstrate that now.

also, not sure about this one:

Effect - Affect

The game of pool is often used to demonstrate the principle of cause and effect.  The American singer's affect was using a British accent.

maybe 'The American singer would not realise the full affect of the English Accent, or what the resulting effect would be.'

Latest posts

Back