Great blog - preservation sound

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kato

It's been around a couple of years. I just discovered it today.

Some of you will certainly enjoy it as much as I am:
http://www.preservationsound.com/

How could that not be effective?  I'd be like, I guess I'm a Korg man now. Gotta sell this Yamaha.

The letters section of TapeOp a few years ago had some bitchy letters about how some of the ads were sexist. Lingerie clad chick holding a guitar or something. Or maybe someone fellating a microphone. "Wanna see me fit this SM7 in my mouth?"

Anyways...

Pultec 1977 catalog

The Dean girls du jour were always a must see at NAMM shows.  8)

I recall the difficulty in getting a pretty girl into one of my ads at Peavey (no doubt related to the founder's wife being president). The blinding reality about the guitar and musical performance business is that pursuit of sex is the driving force behind kids wanting to play a guitar or be up on stage in the first place.

To ignore that fundamental relationship is not being very practical. Dean didn't come up with the concept, just raised it to high art.

JR

Otherwise why would anyone buy a dean guitar?  I'm surprised Hartley's wife couldn't just see the dollar signs beyond the vixens. I guess she had principles loftier than profits.  Or maybe she didn't want to to be forced to go to every NAMM show to babysit / keep her man in check.

Anyways:

Make your own dildo

kato said:
Otherwise why would anyone buy a dean guitar?  I'm surprised Hartley's wife couldn't just see the dollar signs beyond the vixens. I guess she had principles loftier than profits.  Or maybe she didn't want to to be forced to go to every NAMM show to babysit / keep her man in check.

Anyways:

Make your own dildo

Hartley's wives have all been responsive to practical monetary benefit arguments. I may have been one of the first to break the ice, but Peavey did run several cheesecake loaded ads. I suspect the real issue was fear to even propose such ads. The advertising department reported to the wife, while Hartley participated in all ad approvals.

In a not so amusing anecdote (for the girl), in my first ad proof (with a girl in it), Hartley didn't recognize that It was actually a girl (from behind). Embarrasing because the girl who made the ad from my concept, used herself as the model, and was in the room to hear Hartley's critique.  :-[ :-[  We reshot the ad using a local aerobics instructor (in tight blue jeans) as the model, and Hartley had no problem recognizing her gender from behind,  ;D and happily approved the ad. You could say we were in total agreement about the concept, and I ended up with an even better model than I expected.    ;D I don't know if Hartley had to defend the choice later. I never heard. 

JR

Must've scarred that girl - at least a little bit - for life, being the object of hotness, and hearing "who's the dude with the fat ass?"  JR: "Uhh, that dude is the girl sitting right across from you."  :p

Oh wives plural. That makes sense.  Gotta watch the bottom line if you're expecting to get traded in for a younger model.

It's remarkable at a company as huge as Peavey that the product designer had a hand in the marketing. That would be unheard of in today's workforce.

First five years of VALVE zine.

kato said:
Must've scarred that girl - at least a little bit - for life, being the object of hotness, and hearing "who's the dude with the fat ass?"  JR: "Uhh, that dude is the girl sitting right across from you."  :p
It was rather uncomfortable for her  ;D . She was slender and much prettier from the front than back, but I did not pick her to be the model, she did. The girl we replaced her with had more back in back, and more recognizable curves.
Oh wives plural. That makes sense.  Gotta watch the bottom line if you're expecting to get traded in for a younger model.
I'd rather not go into details, but yes some of that. 
It's remarkable at a company as huge as Peavey that the product designer had a hand in the marketing. That would be unheard of in today's workforce.
While it may not be obvious but I do more than design. I was president of two different (very small) companies before being hired at Peavey in the mid '80s.  I managed engineering departments, while I still dabbled in design. My last patent (as co-inventor) at Peavey was on a power amp heat sink, and well after I was working in product management. I would still brain storm with senior engineers as a diversion from my routine work. You can take the boy out of engineering, but you can't take the engineer out of the boy.  8)

At one time I was over the entire product management group with several product managers reporting to me. Product managers do far more than come up with ad campaigns, while the creative is supposed to come from the advertising department, they would have never in a million years come up with some of the ads I did (for better or worse). 

I had major battles with the new director of marketing hired near the end of my time there and I am still angry about some things he did, or un-did.  Peavey was not great at advertising and I found it difficult to fund a serious campaign, while doing hand to hand combat against tens of mackie mixer ads every month.  I "engineered" an advertising program where I built an ad budget into the price of a new small mixer series, so something like $10 from every mixer shipped went to my ad budget, to promote just those mixers. It took time for this to gain traction because the advertising lagged the shipments but after about 6 months i was seeing nice increases in those SKU sales, when the new guy took my special set-aside budget to use for some other pet project of his.  arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  So I ended up with $10 more expensive mixers than they needed to be, and no incremental mixer ads.... My little project was supposed to lead Peavey into a more effective advertising model by example, instead it got nipped in the bud, by an empty suit. :'(

JR

> that pursuit of sex is the driving force behind kids wanting to .... Dean didn't come up with the concept, just raised it to high art.

It's been around forever. Norton had some fine images.

NGGoFar540.jpg

http://www.andover-norton.co.uk/Norton%20Girls.htm

This series of ads was surely known to Dean and most everybody in music-gear world, since somebody in the band rode a Suzuki but read Cycle World and lusted for the Norton.

Actually dates back to the I800's when burlesque (girl) actors put risque images on their business cards.  Prior to that there are probably some cave paintings somewhere...  8)

250px-Betty_Grable_20th_Century_Fox.jpg

In the 40's these images showed up on bombers.

Cheesecake appears to be word play on beefcake for male models.

JR

Yeah, cuz who would eat something called BeefCake.  Beefstick is already a stretch.

Oh wait, I just realized: beefcake = meatloaf with candles.

JohnRoberts said:
In the 40's these images showed up on bombers.

love that the photographer was the one to personalize with an autograph, as though simon is really giving ol' frank a second thought...

Back