Guitar Amp - What Kind?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty cool. Too bad you didn't snag it. Back in the days when GE Smith was active on the Telecaster forum (TDPRI) under a pseudonym, he posted something about an unusual EL84 Fender amp from that era. I wonder if it was also a 6G9.

Did you get any pics of the blonde bassman innards, CJ?

Pretty cool. Too bad you didn't snag it.

Oh, I definitely wanted to! But, I knew that whatever he wanted for it was far more than I could afford. He had a few dozen vintage Fenders, any of which I'd loved to have had. He owned a music store, so he was exposed to a lot of that cool old stuff, but he was also one of those lucky guys that was always in the right place at the right time, or else stuff just fell in his lap by sheer dumb luck (like the Tremolux).

For example, the Tremolux sat on a shelf next to a pre-CBS blackface Princeton, that he found in a barn. It was dirty and had spray paint overspray on it, but it cleaned up REALLY well, and you had to get up close to see anything that wasn't pristine looking. He had a mid-'70s 3-pickup Les Paul Custom, that he special-ordered new with the optional "Shadowburst" finish because he thought it looked cool. It's now very rare and collectible. He also owned a '59 ES-335 with dot inlays. Yes, THAT guitar...

I've gotten a few valuable things free or by luck, but nothing like that. Back in 1989, a friend gave me his original TS-808 Tube Screamer (circa '79 or '80) when it stopped working. The culprit was merely a bad solder joint. I still have it.

Another friend gave me his pair of Sennheiser HD600 cans, and another gave me a brand new Simpson 260-7 VOM.

I once bought a 1962 Heathkit AA-151 integrated stereo amplifier for $110, that was a rare, factory-assembled unit in flawless mint condition; a true museum piece. The lead dress was gorgeous and it had all the original RCA and Mullard tubes, that tested at or near 100%.

Alas, it was heavily damaged at a USPS facility in Texas during shipping. It looked like a lift truck fork had penetrated the box, and hit the chassis and sheet metal cover. Amazingly, it still worked and I used it a long time with the cover off, because it was so mangled it wouldn't fit. I finally grew weary of looking at it with a sick heart, and decided to give the poor creature a proper burial. But, I of course kept the tubes and the magnificent Stancor transformer set.

The guy I bought it from was like the music store owner; someone who was always in the right place at the right time. He was a tech at the Magnatone factory in the '60s, and had several pristine Magnatone amps in his collection. He'd go to estate and yard sales all over southern California, and some of the more interesting finds he told me about were:

A pair of tweed Fender amps, fished out of a dumpster after they didn't sell at a remote yard sale

A cabinet full of tube Marantz and McIntosh hi-fi gear, bought for $2300 and sold the next day for $9000

An original D' Angelico Style B made in the '30s, bought for $5 in the '80s. The owner was deceased and his wife had stored the guitar in their basement, which later flooded. The case was lying flat on the floor, and the water had made the back separate from the sides. It was repaired by none other than Mr. Jimmy D'Aquisto himself, and after getting it back the guy enjoyed playing it for about 6 months, then sold it for $6000.

Last edited:
That bassman is 6G6 which has a gz34 rect, it is supposed to go with a one 12 inch cab, 8 ohms, later versions have solid state rects an go with a two 12
cab which means 4 ohms and a different output xfmr, the 6G6 did not sound that great, too much treble, it did have the two 27k treble pot simulator resistors which are supposed to be on the 6G6a, which shows the amount of parts swapping that was going on back then, it did not oscillate, which supposedly the 6G6 is supposed to do, later versions added a cap to suppress osc.

Wow, I didn't know anybody had ever made a guitar amp with compactrons. Love that old Ampeg blue checkerboard tolex!

today it is a mini marshall that for reasons unknown, goes for a lot of bucks,

ti4558 and some bc184's, 1987 comes with a mini stack,
actually sounds pretty good, kind of like a fuzz box that can drive speakers,

j.jpg

j1.jpg

Ampeg GU-12 uses 6U10
Ampeg VT-22 6K11
Ampeg V4 6K11
'80s Fender Superchamp used the 6C10 - three 12AX7 triodes
6U10 is (1) AX7 and (2) AU7.
Just looked on reverb and these tubes are crazy expensive, like $70-80. A couple years ago they were $20. Might have to sell off my sleeve of NOS!

Latest posts

Back