Harley Benton

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

Has anyone ordered Harley Benton gear to the USA?
If so any issues, extra charges?

I cant give you any advice about importing one , but I know a few people who got Harley guitars this side of the pond  ,  for what your paying its probably a fair deal , but often the fretwork is poor right out of the box , Id almost count on any of these cheaper Chinese guitars requiring at very least a setup,  if not requiring the frets to be re seated / glued and dressed again properly , Im not a luthier myself but a good buddy of mine regularly see's jobs on brand new instruments nowadays , poorly seated frets is the biggest issue he finds . You can be lucky too of course and get something that plays well right off , its very much the exception though .  Another buddy  of mine got a Harley copy of a Hofner Violin bass and a combo 6/12 string SG which needed some small attention before it was playable , there not the guys main instruments , but the do the job and dont break the bank .
The quality of the timbers varies a lot too , its down to pot luck .

No idea if you're thinking about 'real instruments' or just some of their gear ? (stompboxes, supplies, utils)

The latter are usually decent deals, but obviously that benefit might evaporate with added costs.

Don't you have US based china cheap musical instrument crap import/manufacture shops?

They are lower end copies with "glue sticking out" and good parts replaced with plastic. Some products still do work OK as utility. You will have statistically similar luck and pricing with used things.

[edit]

It should be pointed out: they have zero original products. All are clones, obvious ones. If they weren't obvious they would not be in business.

What I still don't understand is how they can sell a guitar cabinet for much less than the speakers alone.

For example, their Harley Benton G412A Vintage has 4 Celection Vintage 30 speakers and sells for $379, with 30 euros for shipping.  About the cheapest you can get them here locally in the US is $120, which is almost $500 shipped just for speakers.

It's almost worth it to buy the cab, rip out the speakers, and pitch the rest in the garbage.  :eek:

I have a Harley benton telecaster. The feet work is actually pretty good on it. The downside to mine is it is insanely heavy....like weighs more than a les Paul type of heavy!

Matador said:
What I still don't understand is how they can sell a guitar cabinet for much less than the speakers alone.

For example, their Harley Benton G412A Vintage has 4 Celection Vintage 30 speakers and sells for $379, with 30 euros for shipping.  About the cheapest you can get them here locally in the US is $120, which is almost $500 shipped just for speakers.

As it seems there are Chinese & UK manufactured types. Possibly those you saw in the US are the UK ones ?

Back