Has anyone built a DRIP Fairchild? Impressions?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidmorebay

Hello,
I'm thinking about building a DRIP Electronics Fairchild for use in a mastering studio. Can anybody who has built one answer some questions please? I'm sure it sounds great. I'm wondering about how practical it would be in regular use.

Has it been reliable?
How long have the tubes lasted so far? I know it's known to consume tubes fairly quickly...
Which version of the PCB did you use?
Would you do it again?
Any advice for someone about to take this on?

thanks much.
JS

A client of mine has one in his studio. He didn't build it so I can not comment on the build or ease of build or whatever. But the guy who built it did a great job. The unit sounds good. I have no other details as to which PCB was used, etc.

I'd also like to hear from someone who has personal experience - how long JJ tubes last?
Maybe I should skip the expensive JJ set and go with 6BA6 on adapters?

A friend has one in Purusha chasis. Mechanical is the weakest point imo, compared to original many wires are not in optimal place (a lot of them over the top of circuit and hot tubes), it is hard to access pcb because of this. Removable back plate with hinges or screws would make this easier, beside making it p2p like RCA BA-6A, Gates, etc. Often local power transformers cost less.
I'm sure Drip's instructions were followed on this one.
It surprised me how clean they are considering all transformers and tubes, of course love their sound and also functions.

Back