HD vinyl

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
Really? I thought the 5.0 l Coyote had DOHC 4-valve and much improved cam-timing...
I warned that I wasn't up to date.... (my mustang cobra I still drive is over 20 years old).

My 1986 GT 5.0 was only 2V per hole, my 1993 cobra 5.0 was again 2V. The 1997 4.6L was 4V. Ford retired the old pushrod 302 back around then.

according to wiki in 2005 they introduced a modular 3V 4.6L V8.

in 2011 they pushed the 4V platform to 5.0

The new 5.0 L is making something like 460 HP, easily 2x the old rated power for my pushrod 5.0L motors.

Yes, I haven't been paying close attention for years.

I still maintain that the 5.0 number is to resonate with old die hard mustang fans, while the rest of the motor is clearly new and improved.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I warned that I wasn't up to date.... (my mustang cobra I still drive is over 20 years old).
So are my Chrysler (Dodge) Stratus and my Eldorado TC...

I still maintain that the 5.0 number is to resonate with old die hard mustang fans, while the rest of the motor is clearly new and improved.
For us in the Old World, liters do not carry the same exoticism as cubic inches  8)

if HD stands for "High Dynamics",
then Westrex is the ticket.
3DII fitted room going online soon in Nashville.
good there are folks carrying on Otto's work,
kudos to Len.

Attachments

• westrex_.JPG
    westrex_.JPG
    503.9 KB · Views: 13
Is that cutter head suspension box  a Haeco from an A&M lathe? Having depth control  as well as pitch control with the Pitch 98/13 helps a lot .

Gold said:
Is that cutter head suspension box  a Haeco from an A&M lathe?
I believe it is.
the owner was adamant not to use an advance ball (readers may not be familiar with the device).
those used to a Neumann suspension are typically appalled by the concept.
could argue that records cut with the ancient apparatus sounded just fine, maybe even superb,
it does allow the head to track an uneven cork surface often found on Scullys.

I recently saw a Haeco made cutterhead susspension that was essentially a copy of the Neumann head suspension box optimized for the weight of a 3D II. It had a solenoid with a 12VDC control voltage. The Pitch98/13 could be set up for variable depth control with a suspension like that.  Some sides simply can’t be cut without depth automation. 

Gold said:
I recently saw a Haeco made cutterhead susspension that was essentially a copy of the Neumann head suspension box optimized for the weight of a 3D II. It had a solenoid with a 12VDC control voltage. The Pitch98/13 could be set up for variable depth control with a suspension like that.  Some sides simply can’t be cut without depth automation.
Gotham used to offer the Neumann suspension specially modified for the heavy Westrex.  Depth control via the companion Neumann amplifier.
I believe depth control of the last iteration of the 3DIIah was via adjustment of DC offset of the companion solid state amplifier into the drive coils.

Back