HDTV sound question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus

My older very nice dumb HDTV failed, it had good picture and sound.
It is a one board type, checked some caps in the suspect area and they test good for value, ESR and leakage. I found a schematic and will continue to try to fix it.
I am looking for a replacement board or a used TV
Looking for a new dumb 1080P HDTV is a challenge.
Found one however the screen is not as good (off to the side view is not good) and the sound is not good, it sounds like a bad speaker enclosure area design issue.
I can connect it to the stereo by the optical link however the stereo is used for music and movies, for regular TV I don't care to power it up no reason to waste the power.

That is the back ground
Has anyone used the stock HDTV amps to power external speakers?
It would be easy enough to disconnect the inside speakers and connect to external speakers.

The reason I ask is I have not found any information if companies use a fixed EQ for the amps in the TV that might not match well to nice external speakers
and if it has a class D amp is there anything else I need to know to load it properly.

My home theater is a hoge-podge of sundry components. I have real (old hifi) speakers, and real (hypex) amps but the surround decoder is dodgy. Getting good digital audio with surround content from TV/direct TV/streaming is dodgy.

It looks like large LED TVs are still getting cheaper. I stopped upgrading when they became bigger than I can easily install by myself.

JR

I have checked for the board I did look at shop jimmy, craiglist, ebay etc. I check every few days . Thanks for the post it might help others.
It is a 32" Phillips.
I use the TV for over the air or movies.

I know I could not use the smart part of a TV however, a new thing I read on the web some have to connect to the web work.
Someone I know bought a smart TV and all it came with is a roku emote it did not have a remote you need to buy one or use an app on a phone if you want Over the air TV.
Also most are now wireless and some have cameras and microphones.

One common problem I think I've seen is bad DC coupling capacitors in HDMI input paths... Every time I upgrade to a bigger screen in my living room I repurpose the old display to my computer desk. I have had to plug into different HDMI inputs when one stops working. I diagnosed it as a bad capacitor, but did not melt any solder to prove my thesis.

JR

If you don't do the full "smart" install/setup you won't ever get commercials, at least nor emanating from the TV.
You probably won't be able to access their built-in streaming apps but I generally stream through my computer anyway so don't miss them.

Latest posts

Back