Heathkit Manuals Pulled Off Web

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJ

GDIY Supporter
It seems that Heathkit, or a reasonable facsimile of, has asked several people to remove the Heath manuals,

there are a few sites left,so if you still want something, get it now.

you can still buy the real hardcopy stuff off evilbay,

this place requires an email login, but still has manuals>

http://www.mods.dk/manual.php?brand=heathkit

from the BAMA site:

"Q.  Where are the Heathkit manuals?

A.  I am sorry to report that BAMA will not be hosting Heath manuals in the future. The copyright owner has objected and in order to comply with copyright law, the Heath manuals have been removed from the BAMA servers. The way that copyright law works requires the copyright holder to enforce it against misuse. Failure to enforce will invalidate the copyright, which means that anyone with a copyright has to vigorously chase down any cases of unfair use or lose their standing in court, should it come to that. While this may tend to make copyright holders look like mean-spirited bullies, this is just not the case. They are simply protecting their property rights.

You will be able to buy copies from the usual manual merchants who agree to the licensing terms. The copyright holder has offered to allow BAMA to host the schematics only, and therefore it may be possible to download them at some point in the future, if I can figure out a way to do this easily.

Q.  What's the policy that guides BAMA with regard to copyright?

A.  It has always been my policy to immediately remove material from BAMA any time a copyright was exercised.  The current owner of the Heathkit copyright bought and paid for it and has a right to receive a return on his investment.  When he contacted me to exercise the copyright, I immediately agreed to remove the Heathkit manuals.

Copyright is as American as apple pie and is protected by the Constitution and the laws made under it by the Congress.  While I may be best known for making manuals and schematics available for free downloading on BAMA, I'm here to tell you that I believe in the principle of copyright and have absolutely no trouble with the exercise of that right by an owner....nor should you.

Q.  Surely for something as old as these Heathkit manuals, the copyright has expired, right?

A.  There seems to be some uncertainty about the length of time that a copyright is valid.  Some seem to think that copyrighted material enters the public domain after 20 years.  That is simply not true.  The Heathkit material copyright extends for 95 years from the copyright date.  So, that manual for the SB-10 Sideband Adapter copyrighted in 1960 is protected until 2055 when it will become a part of the public domain.  I seriously doubt that I will be around to add it back to the BAMA collection at that time!"

For a succinct presentation of the length of time for a work to become part of the public domain, see http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

Wonder if someone's seeing a spike in demand for DIY 13" black & white TV sets in countries that haven't made the switch to digital yet.  ::)

dang!

I'm tryin' to find a manual/schematic for a TC-3 I got recently.

all tubes read about the same in it.

at best my tubes are tube checker checkers.

maybe if i clean all those contacts on all those switches...
not much else inside.

stickjam said:
Wonder if someone's seeing a spike in demand for DIY 13" black & white TV sets in countries that haven't made the switch to digital yet.  ::)

People said vintage gear sound warmer. And the colors look warmer too. Must be due to the gel filters. That's why these TVs are in so much demand.   None of that digital jitter and crap. It's pure analog bliss.

Someone wants to Rev Eng the schematic?

Latest posts

Back