Hello from Minnesota

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyseacre

Greetings all!

I'm Doug from St. Paul, Minnesota, USA. An IT generalist by trade, I'm a longtime electronics and ham radio enthusiast. I've done a bit of software development. Most of my career was in MIS.

More recently I'm getting into audio - as a hobby, and initially to improve my on-air voice. But it seems I've "caught a bug" of sorts and have begun collecting mics and audio processor gear on the used market, fixing them up for personal use. I am enjoying the learning curve, especially regarding what is required to create good audio. It's like a new universe has opened up.

Though my purse strings are tight, presently I've got a Behringer 9024 processor and 8024 equalizer and two Symetrix 528e channel strips. For mics I have a Lewitt LCT 440 Pure, an Earthworks Ethos, a R0de NTG3 and NTG2, a Sennheiser MKH 816T. Other mics I've repaired include some vintage Unidynes and an EV DS35 which I scored for 50 cents at a hamfest back in the 80's.

On the ham radio side of things, I've got a lot of Yaesu goodies, with some Icom, Ameritron, Heathkit and some vintage EF Johnson and Collins iron.

I've also got a number of old computers, including a couple of Cray J-90 mainframes, various small DEC and Sun systems, some teletypes, DECwriters and other terminals, a KIM-1 and a Programma-101 (which employs several loops of piano wire for its acoustic traveling wave memory scheme.)

Recently a friend called me a "tinker." I think that is a fair assessment. I've got a habit of finding broken electronics at thrift stores, fixing them up and eventually donating them back.

Thanks for letting me into your community!

Latest posts

Back