Help Identifying Liner or Log Pots - Guitar Amp Repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whoops

GDIY Supporter
Hello,
Im repairing at the moment a Polytone Mini Brute amplifier,
The 3 pots , VOL , Tone and Bass need to be replaced as they are broken from having to support the Board.

I think this amp was already serviced in the past and the pots dont look original , also the value of the volume pot is22K and the schematic asks for a 10K.

The broken pots are VOL 22K LIN, TONE 100K Log, and BASS 100K Log.

I would like to be certain on the original taper for this circuit  before replacing them.

Searched the web, and although there's countless repairs and problems with these amps, there's no mention anywhere on the Potentiometer taper. Sent email to Polytone, but it was brought to my attention that the company is not in bussiness anymore because the owner passed away in 2013.

By looking at this schematic does any of you could tell me or advise me  on what would be the pots taper that makjes sense for this circuit, or the most common one?

thank you so much

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 2.22.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 2.22.10 AM.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 23
10K vol is probably Audio
tone pots probably linear,

then you have the mechanical problem, so many dang pots out there, a zillion different packages, di you have room to splice in a regular pot and run wires to the pc board? if not, then you might have to search digikey for the same package, btdt

Hi CJ,
thanks for your reply.

I already have Pots installed, I Run wires from the Pots to the board , and will mount the PCB to the Chassis with standoffs, no more "POTS Support everything"

I had Linear pots in stock, just dont have 100K Log.
The Pots need to be split shaft if you want to use the original knobs (it's not my amp, so this is the case)

I have another Polytone amp here  that I fixed last week, I opened it up to check if the pots were Lin or Log,
that amp has orignal pots, I couldnt take the pots out so had to measure them in the circuit. By the measurments it seems to me that the Vol is linear and Treble and Bass are Log.
Strange,
like you've advised I'm also used to see the opposite Log audio and Linear tone pots.
Maybe the Polytones are the other way around, I dont know now Im confused.

Let me just tell this from my hearth, these Polytone amplifiers are the most awful things I had ever on my bench.
Horrible design, no heatsinks anywere it runs too hot, theres flammable material inside it could burn at any time,  A lot of AC induction from cable layout but above all a lot of magnetic interference from the Speaker and the Mains transformer into the reverb tanks and circuit. Reverb is noisy as hell, bad soldering, low quality components, really low quality pcb's it seems tracks destroy themselves even before you touched then with the soldering iron, POTS support preamp PCB weight with giging/travelling the pots solder pads will break from the pcb traces.
But even though the Desing/layout and overall components and construction  is bad that's not even the worst thing about the Polytone amps, even worst than that is the sound they produce.

i feel your pain on a daily basis, try working on an Egnater sometime, or groove on the hot rod deluxe with the board traces that melt if you look at them wrong, or the old stereo receivers with expensive Hitachi transistors with the 2 week lead time  that blow up because they are bootlegs from China, see what you have started?  ;D

don't worry about the taper, everything gets set to 10, or 11 depending on the knob,

CJ said:
i feel your pain on a daily basis, try working on an Egnater sometime, or groove on the hot rod deluxe with the board traces that melt if you look at them wrong, or the old stereo receivers with expensive Hitachi transistors with the 2 week lead time  that blow up because they are bootlegs from China, see what you have started?  ;D

don't worry about the taper, everything gets set to 10, or 11 depending on the knob,

LOLOLOLOL
Oh yeah

Do you have some type of Amps that you dont even accept at all to repair? Like and Amp Black List?

Back