Help Identifying Mystery Preamp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got this set of pres on my bench for repair, I've never seen a set that look exactly like this, initially I though they might be melcor or early API but I can't find any info or pics anywhere online that match. pics of the DOA inside attached as well. Input trafo is JE-115k-e output trafo wired offboard is JE123s. No markings on the PCBs or faceplate anywhere, but the PCBs were manufactured, not home brew. Edge connectors are hard gold. Card mates w standard EDAC 15 slot connector. Any help identifying these would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230719_133621.jpg
    20230719_133621.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230719_133650.jpg
    20230719_133650.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230719_133702.jpg
    20230719_133702.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230719_133722.jpg
    20230719_133722.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
I've got this set of pres on my bench for repair, I've never seen a set that look exactly like this, initially I though they might be melcor or early API but I can't find any info or pics anywhere online that match. pics of the DOA inside attached as well. Input trafo is JE-115k-e output trafo wired offboard is JE123s. No markings on the PCBs or faceplate anywhere, but the PCBs were manufactured, not home brew. Edge connectors are hard gold. Card mates w standard EDAC 15 slot connector. Any help identifying these would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Here are some pics of the trace side of the PCB

Attachments

• 20230719_142341.jpg
    20230719_142341.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230719_142359.jpg
    20230719_142359.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
I'm sticking with it. This looks like self-etched to me. Single sided, no print layer, no stop masks, no vias, no plated through solder pads and hand drilled. The gold plated edge connector could be homemade with tampon electroplating or it was pre-produced blanks to self-etch.

The components are not that old, corresponding industrial PCBs would look different.

Just my 0,02 $

I'm sticking with it. This looks like self-etched to me. Single sided, no print layer, no stop masks, no vias, no plated through solder pads and hand drilled. The gold plated edge connector could be homemade with tampon electroplating or it was pre-produced blanks to self-etch.

The components are not that old, corresponding industrial PCBs would look different.

Just my 0,02 $
The gold plated fingers on the edge connector are not that easy to DIY, I never even tried.

JR

Looks most similar to Auditronics layout. The transformer clearance hole in the PCB rings a bell....I just can't find the bell..... The Jensen 'JE' part # indicates.....Jensen, post-Reichenbach split (1975ish?) and pre 'JT' part # (1987ish?). The API type Vemaline knobs coulda been used by anyone freely back then.

It's actually pretty easy with pad electro plating and the right electrolyte. We did this during my basic training at BASF to protect sensor surfaces. Very durable.

As I said, maybe this part was also pre-produced.

I still say, even in the 80's, this would not have passed for a professional job on my side of the pond. To me it looks like DIY, maximum a small batch job in a backyard somewhere.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with your research! (y)

Very few possibilities come to mind on this.
The knobs scream api but clearly not an api as the opamp is not potted and the short module length does not fit the api profile.
Auditronics also comes to mind

Lastly apsi comes to mind as well but to my knowledge their stuff is ic chips.

Hmmm very unusual

Like others said the knobs are from Vemaline, the same ones that API used.
The transformers are from Jensen

The unit seems to have been re-caped maybe in the last 10 years, because the Lytic caps seem to be much newer than the rest of the construction.

It uses one discreet OpAmp, maybe you can trace it and that would give some clues...

I agree with Rock Soderstrom that the PCB job doesn't look that good, but I don't believe it's an home job, like JR said the golden pads/pins for the connectors would not have been made at home, and also I've seen this type of pcb construction and traces from many units of the early 70s.

Thanks for the insights everyone. I was also looking at some Olive consoles because the knobs look similar and the Jensens at least imply that's its from the US, but that doesn't match the bill either. Im trying to find pics of any Roger Mayer consoles to see if that might be it. I think it might be a case of splitting the difference with Rocks theory that's its homemade and the people that are skeptical and assume it might be a prototype. The faceplate letters are etched and with the fingers on the card that seems to point to it being made somewhere that would be reasonably set up to make modules or a pretty intense DIYer in the 70s. . If anybody has any ideas about the DOA that would be great. Im going to see if the owner can put me in contact whoever he got them from and see what they know. Thanks again everyone.

Just my 0,02 $
We never used extrusions as API or round standoffs, may have been Melcor, but not with the JE transformer which is probably pre split, based on the AB pots. The missing opamps look to be a single and a 14 pin dual. Single sided PCBs were common in the 70's, not DIY, looks like a whole mono input module for either a custom live console or a custom console used in some business or government thing. Very confusing in many ways because of the newer JE transformer look, but the old AB pots and blue electrolytics. Probably an external fader and output transformer. In those days there were a lot of custom console makers like ADM, who did a ton of government contracts, SSI, who did the same and many more. The op-amp looks like someone knew what they were doing, may be a 990 of sorts.

We never used extrusions as API or round standoffs, may have been Melcor, but not with the JE transformer which is probably pre split, based on the AB pots. The missing opamps look to be a single and a 14 pin dual. Single sided PCBs were common in the 70's, not DIY, looks like a whole mono input module for either a custom live console or a custom console used in some business or government thing. Very confusing in many ways because of the newer JE transformer look, but the old AB pots and blue electrolytics. Probably an external fader and output transformer. In those days there were a lot of custom console makers like ADM, who did a ton of government contracts, SSI, who did the same and many more. The op-amp looks like someone knew what they were doing, may be a 990 of sorts.
Yes, multiple small console makers used those knobs to look like API....

I consulted for a small console maker in CT back in the late 70s (Loft Modular Devices) that used those knobs.

JR

Just my 0,02 $
Hi,

I think it should be a 2-layer board since there are two layers traces. There is no soldermask, vias and so on. I also think it should be homemade.

Yes, multiple small console makers used those knobs to look like API....

I consulted for a small console maker in CT back in the late 70s (Loft Modular Devices) that used those knobs.

JR
Yes… I was going to say loft, I have seen loft gear with the same knobs. But I have never seen their circuits so can’t comment further

I did "sticky tape" PCB layouts in the 70,s, (using Bishop Graphics, Vector, Chartpak, Letraset, and others) and results were as easily as good as these modules,............ if-you-took-your-time.
Similar results exist for 70's Quad-Eight, Electrodyne, Sphere, ADM, Helios, Soundcraft, API, Neve and many, many others, with each successive design revision eventually achieving a "signature look" for each manufacturer, PCB layout engineer, specific era of design and available (IE: "affordable") features the PCB fab house could offer.

Early to late 60's to 70,s, 80,s and onward all had different looks as manual "tape and film" layout slowly gave way to computer/CAD layout systems.
Similarly, PCB fabrication technologies advanced and allowed significant manufacturing cost reductions for typically very expensive options like;
Plated through holes, solder mask, gold plated edge connectors and other features previously only financially practical for Military and Aerospace projects.

Quality of layout for early (often non-soldermasked) PCB,s is entirely up to the amount of care taken, and relative experience of the person doing the work, so it is literally impossible to judge whether this is a really good first try, or an experienced PCB designer who lent their skills to an attractive startup for their "good buddy",.... I have seen numerous variations on these themes.
The above is also true to this day, even with the availability of incredibly powerful PCB layout tools from open source vendors. Quality usually depends entirely on the skills of the operator, not on the quality of the tools used ("I can sound just like Jimi Hendrix if I buy his exact same gear"..........(not!)).

Available pictures of Loft consoles (see preservationsound.com) have very straight line control layout, no toggle switches and nomenclature that does not not look anything like the module pix posted, despite the presence of Vemaline knobs.

Auditronix typically used Rogan knobs, with the earliest designs employing Spectrasonics amp cards and eq,s, that were easily visible on internal pix. I have seen a few of these desks re-fitted with Vemaline knobs, as requested by the studio owner. Their main cards also had a similar PCB look to the cards pictured in this post, but a very different look (and parts selection) compared to the Spectrasonics PC cards inside.

I recently consulted on supposedly custom 1977 vintage "API console", that had a very similar mechanical look to classic API modules outwardly, but was in fact an entirely one-off custom build for A&M studios, with Quad-Eight EQ-444 equalizers, absolutely no API parts at all inside and a very different PCB "signature look" inside, even though all knobs were Vemaline brand and its PCB,s looked equally well laid-out as the "mystery" channels in this post.

It is often a simpler path to decide these modules were built by a known manufacturer, but the capabilities and quality of independent designers or builders should never be underestimated.
Almost every major console company was started by independent designer and thinkers who thought they could do a better job than what was available, with some of the becoming the pro-audio giants we know and appreciate to this day.

My conclusion (right or wrong....)
This looks like a really good one-off build and should be treated as what it is.....
Impressive work that should be appreciated for its attention to detail and quality of build,.. but evaluated on how good the channels actually sound.

Thank you,

Ken Hirsch / Director of Engineering
Orphan Audio www.orphanaudio.com
Quad-Eight Electronics www.quadeightelectronics.com
Electrodyne Audio www.electrodyneaudio.com (a division of Orphan Audio)

"Education is the cure for everything"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back