Help: Resistors schmesistors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hejsan

OK, I've realized that I really hate locating parts :? , especially stuff that you need a lot of, so I'm wondering if anyone with some DIY experience can tell me if this is a good deal:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Resistor-Assort...581356730QQcategoryZ73147QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Are these usefull values, or is this just some leftover crap?
Should I be worried about the brand of resistors?

Also, are there any kits available of wima caps, or are there any noticable trends, i.e. some values that are used very often?

Same for electrolytics?

Thanks,
hej

thats a half a cent a piece, a good deal, if you use any of them.
100k and 1 meg are seriously missing.

a lot of those alook like 1 percenters, given away by the 3 digit values.

they have cap deals just like this resistor deal, so do a search.

These are all 1% but many are very close like 17.8 and 18.2k and shipping outside US is 41USD.

You may want to try TRIMLOG - they are D.I.Y oriented and should have no problem shipping to Iceland or Greenland.
Just put together a kit of whatever you need. Prices are in SEK.

They have more than what they list on eBay: http://www.opamp-electronics.com/

I just bought the 1000 pc resistor kit from them & it's listed on their website. I'm a newbie, so take this with some salt: They have a cheapish feel to them & weak leads compared to the last batch of resistors I got from digikey...however, they're nowhere near as expensive. Also, I remember thinking a few of them seemed off by more than 1% according to my meter, but never took out a calculator to be 100% sure. Values aren't labelled on the little bags anywhere, and colors are hard to decipher at times. Might get to use your meter a little more than normal..

Anyway, IMNO (in my newbie opinion) yes they're worth the money, and yes I'd buy another batch of them in spite of all that. However, I bought them just to have a barrage of values for the protoboard. 10000 of them seems like you want to do a little more than that?

Just my $.02
Todd

Yeah, they are inexpensive and cheap (meaning different things).

From working with guitar amps, I habitually use 1/2 watt and higher, so these don't look interesting to me. The other thing is that there are so many different values in the kit, where you might only commonly use 30-40% of those values. And like CJ mentioned 100k and 1M are omitted, which again for tube amps are THE values to have (as they are used so commonly).

If I were you, I'd stick to buying just what you need from a distributor, and cutting you per-unit cost by buying more of values that you'd use most often.

Back