Help with a "simple" fix on a 60's AKG D19 diaphragm

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JML in NYC

Hello all, thanks in advance on this DIY project:

Repairing a 60's AKG D19 with a loose center diaphragm cone. The small diaphragm cone of mylar has come loose and is knocking against the coil causing noise in the signal. Not sure how best to re-secure it (the black contact lens looking thing in this pic). If someone with knowledge and experience wouldn't mind walking me through this I'd be grateful.

I've removed the capsule screws and removed the diaphragm cover, exposing the mylar as shown in the attached pic. The gold mylar ring and paper gasket seem to be glued to the base of the housing (and attached to the coil I believe!) so I set it on my static mat and walked away & came here for guidance. Any thoughts on this?
How do I get to the cone inside and how to I re-secure it?

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• IMG_6047.JPG
    IMG_6047.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
These types of dynamic mics are made just like loudspeakers - tiny voice coil glued to the outer rim of the center dome. Repairs of these are just as impractical for most DIYers as similar repairs to loudspeakers.

Generally, the diaphragm and attached voice coil are replaced as a unit, where such replacement is possible. In most dynamics, replacement of the entire cartridge is done.

There is almost no possibility of repairing a dynamic capsule of this type of structure, and the only option is to replace it with a intact capsule of the same type.

Welp, I fixed it thanks to PANMAN's advice!!! I have never fixed a moving coil diaphragm but I disassembled it and used a tiny dab of Pannax glue and fixed it! Sounds like new again! ZHOUJUN mentioned it was nearly impossible... but that's not true. I am by no means a tech by any measure and I found it a fairly easy fix and I pulled the whole thing apart, down to the copper and paper rings holding down the mylar. The trick is to not break the moving coil strand wire which is thinner than a strand of hair. Requires a steady hand but other than that, the job is simple. I LOVE my D19 now. It sounds like new again! :)

Welp, I fixed it thanks to PANMAN's advice!!! I have never fixed a moving coil diaphragm but I disassembled it and used a tiny dab of Pannax glue and fixed it! Sounds like new again! ZHOUJUN mentioned it was nearly impossible... but that's not true. I am by no means a tech by any measure and I found it a fairly easy fix and I pulled the whole thing apart, down to the copper and paper rings holding down the mylar. The trick is to not break the moving coil strand wire which is thinner than a strand of hair. Requires a steady hand but other than that, the job is simple. I LOVE my D19 now. It sounds like new again! :)
Hey JML, could you please elaborate? I have a D19 with the same problem, plus the previous owner informed me he accidentially pushed two of the three screws used to secure the grille into the capsule.. I am new here so please bear with me, I can’t seem to find a thread by user PANMAN about the D19. Any help is greatly appreciated, I do not want to put the mic into disrepair with stupid mistakes..

Latest posts

Back