help with piezo impedance

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tzenobite

hi to all!
sorry for this silly question...
like i said in my greetings, i'm a hurdy-gurdy player. you can not know what it is but for my purposes you only must know that it has drone strings, playing one note as low as c2 (other tunings are d3, c3, g2 and d2, depending on the tuning style), while the melody strings can start at d5 and go up to d7. we say we have to retune every time we have to play something, sometime instead of it.
i have a good acoustic hurdy gurdy with a schaller piezo added by myself and i made a very simple passive box with a monitor output, straight from the input, and another out with a volume control and a switch, so i can mute myself when tuning and adjust my volume locally when i play around with others.
a very good hg player (and an expert of electronics and sounds) told me i can have troubles with the low impedance out of the box and the low tones will suffer, he says i should add a preamp to the box but i'd like to keep it simple, small and passive.
so, there are more ways to get an high impedance, say 1Mohm, out of this? will adding a 1 or 5 Mohm resistor or trimmer do the trick?
thank you!

Piezo pick ups are high impedance. A quick google search comes up with:

"Piezo pickups have very high impedance outputs (around 1 megaohm), which (somewhat counterintuitively) means they have a small signal that isn't good at driving lots of cable, and if they encounter something like an input resistor on a guitar amp input it is going to affect them more (and negatively) than the same"

thanks, that's what my friend said. i was asking if there is anything i can do about it other than add a preamp (and a battery, and a switch and more wires).
maybe using a low value pot will help?
thanks.

no; hi impedance means there is 'little to give' and 'easily corrupted',
which is to say-- passive (no battery) is not the best option,
a powered impedance converter will take the delicate signal and make it truly heardy by the outside world

Back