hi guys...I'm new here...op amp reccomendation...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedstar

hello.

In another forum, a guy from here made a post there, and i was impressed. This thread here was mentioned:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=6078

then I was hooked, lmao.

until i read that thread, i hadnt previously thought about injecting a square wave into an audio component to test it...it being designed to use sines and all, i figured that was the way to test it...send in 1khz signal, make sure you get 1khz OUT, lol.

I can see the value of a square waved QUICK leading edge testing settling times on rise, and vice versa on the drop on the trailing edge.

Where am I at? I am no EE, by a long shot. I am a hobhbyist electronics guy. I am CLOSE to building a RF device myself, but close, no cigar, lol. (always wanted to build my own linear, dont know why...lol)

anyway, I was impressed, thats how i got here. While I am no EE, I am definitely more comfortable talking to electronics engineers than sitting in a bar discussing nonsense, lol.

I want to build something, no doubts about THAT, lol. I dont expect a "cookbook", of course, and i know the learning curve will be big, but such is life.

I either want to build a guitar amp, or a mixing board, likely the mixing board. I have found a lot of schematics around the net and books, but they are hardly cookbook recipes, lol, at least not for anything fairly decent.

I want to buy a few good quality op amps and start testing some basic stuff. What I DONT wana to do is fool around with 741's and stuff, whatever op amps i get to play with and get familiar with, i want them to be of suitable quality that when i go to BUILD something, they are of decent enough quality, I wont be lacking.

the burr brown opa2228's were mentioned in the above article...

would this opamp in the single op-amp version (instead of dual...) be a good all purpose audio op amp to get familiar with?

I want to start basic...just cook up a basic mic amp, then gradually add tone controls...once i get this down, i should be able to make several of them and sum them up to a bus, and go from there.

most of the basic mixer projects, seem to use low quality components...i want to start with simple projects like that, yet the components i get familiar with, i want them to be better quality for later on.

other than a general op amp reccomendation, could anyone reccomend a good first project to send me down this road?

I've worked with that opamp a little. It's stable when configured for a gain of 5 or greater, so don't use it as a buffer. Sonically, I found the difference between the 2228 and the 5532 to be negligible, and price wise the difference is quite large, about seventy cents for the 5532, and $4 for the 2228. While the 2228 has less noise, the 5532 will give you some advantages over the 2228--its high frequency distortion is lower than the 2228, and it has a bit beefier output.

Back