Hi!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dazzathedrummer

Hi,

I'm just starting out with DIY audio gear - I love the idea of building gear myself and necessity had lead me to look into my first build.

I'm  a musician and producer and I currently use an audio device set up that can accept 16 mic inputs. This is fine for the studio but when recording a live show, I have to do the old trick of plugging a TRS half-way into the channel inserts of the PA mixer in order to get a split into my recording gear.

Obviously this is not ideal and so I'd like to build a 16/32 mic splitter.

I literally don't know where to start so if anybody can advise me and/or point me in the direction of some past projects I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Darren

You'd then need another 16 mic inputs...

Instead of plugging halfway in, you can make a set of TRS leads with the ring and tip shorted ("fixing" the normal 'break') and then taking the line level split.

each channel of a mic splitter only has one component: a transformer. -Detaile are at Jensen's site... and the Jensens are fantastic transformers.

If the cost is a too high, try the TRS trick.

SSLtech said:
You'd then need another 16 mic inputs...

Instead of plugging halfway in, you can make a set of TRS leads with the ring and tip shorted ("fixing" the normal 'break') and then taking the line level split.

each channel of a mic splitter only has one component: a transformer. -Detaile are at Jensen's site... and the Jensens are fantastic transformers.

If the cost is a too high, try the TRS trick.

Shrotened TRS's - I've never thought about that before! ....is this something that's available to by or it that a mod?

I looked at the Jensen transformers - they look good but they're quite expensive, I'd need 16 so that would be $812.......probably cheaper to buy a proprietary mic splitter.

Are there any recomended cheaper options?

I'm  a musician and producer and I currently use an audio device set up that can accept 16 mic inputs.
If you also have 16 outputs, you can set up outputs from your interface to go to the live board, yes?

the mic gains you need for live and recording maybe different, A Y split may work sometimes
just as often not though, Jensen is not the only transformer , there are a couple English alternatives
Sounds like you're at the start of your research phase . Good luck you'll make something work.

dmp said:
I'm  a musician and producer and I currently use an audio device set up that can accept 16 mic inputs.
If you also have 16 outputs, you can set up outputs from your interface to go to the live board, yes?

hmmmm - instinct tells me that I'd incur latency.

I'm running a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 which has 8 mic pres - I connect a Behringer ADA8000 to it via ADAT......both the Pro40 and the ADA8000 have 8 line outputs each.
......I'd better RTFM!

Latest posts

Back