Hot Sauce lovers in the group?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cyrano said:
Seriously, I never get intestinal problems from spices. Or fat, or...

That depends on how much spice or chilli you eat.... for you guys its an experience, for us its a daily matter, I invite you to come to Mexico and try our cuisine for a week, everything has chilli and spices in it, its not so much about the intensity but rather the quantity and frequency, things are very different between doing a "chilli tasting" every now and then as if it were a wine tasting, and having mexican food for the three meals of the day for a month every single day in which every dish has sauce and chilli in it. Perhaps later I'll post a picture with some traditional food that I eat almost every day and the amount of sauce used in it, that should give you an idea. 

I also love indian food, their food is more on the spicy side rather than on the hot side, but I love it.

I think it is safe to say there are some Hot Sauce Lovers in the group!

The last line of hot sauce I released was a straight Carolina Reaper hot sauce, carrot based to really bring out the sweetness of the CR Pepper.I worked to make something flavourful and it is actually our biggest seller now with orders swarming in every XMAS.

The super hot trend started with Pepper Growers competitively creating hotter and hotter peppers. Our good friends and Pucker Butt Pepper Company are where we order all our seeds from. Ed Curry owner of PB created the Carolina Reaper and has stated he has peppers in storage that are even hotter.

cyrano said:
My latest find is humamara, made from Aleppo peppers, and pomegranate molasse walnuts and spices. Aleppo pepper is kind of bell pepper that's only slightly hot. Yummy.

I love dried Aleppo peppers.  I used to dump them -- I mean really pile them -- on pizza before I started eating healthy (not much pizza anymore these days).  Same with Maras peppers.

Probably my all-time favorite among the milder peppers is Urfa chilies.  They've got an almost molasses-y savory-sweet thing going on, sort of in the same vein as anchos but a bit smokier.  I'm not great at describing flavors, I'm discovering as I write this, but if you've never had the pleasure, I highly recommend!

We have a few fans of our super hots that have no taste buds, as odd as this is, they only real joy while eating they get from sensation of hot sauce with food. They literally put this * on everything lol.

user 37518 said:
That depends on how much spice or chilli you eat.... for you guys its an experience, for us its a daily matter, I invite you to come to Mexico and try our cuisine for a week, everything has chilli and spices in it, its not so much about the intensity but rather the quantity and frequency, things are very different between doing a "chilli tasting" every now and then as if it were a wine tasting, and having mexican food for the three meals of the day for a month every single day in which every dish has sauce and chilli in it. Perhaps later I'll post a picture with some traditional food that I eat almost every day and the amount of sauce used in it, that should give you an idea. 

I also love indian food, their food is more on the spicy side rather than on the hot side, but I love it.

I've been to Thailand. Does that count?

Tasted everything I came across. Some things were too hot for my taste, but I finished my plate...

I'm also quite fond of wasabi (and horseradish), which is a different kind of hot.

JMan said:
I love dried Aleppo peppers.  I used to dump them -- I mean really pile them -- on pizza before I started eating healthy (not much pizza anymore these days).  Same with Maras peppers.

Probably my all-time favorite among the milder peppers is Urfa chilies.  They've got an almost molasses-y savory-sweet thing going on, sort of in the same vein as anchos but a bit smokier.  I'm not great at describing flavors, I'm discovering as I write this, but if you've never had the pleasure, I highly recommend!

Marash peppers are Turkish. Never heard of urfa chilies. I'm glad our supermarkets have chilies. And the Asian supermarket has more choice. I'll ask next time I'm there. They'll see me coming. I always seem to want something they don't have :D

cyrano said:
Marash peppers are Turkish. Never heard of urfa chilies. I'm glad our supermarkets have chilies. And the Asian supermarket has more choice. I'll ask next time I'm there. They'll see me coming. I always seem to want something they don't have :D

I would love to try all these suggestions for dried peppers. We grew a HUGE variety the first few years of farming. I use farming lightly as its really a 40 by 80 foot pepper garden.

If you can get seeds I will grow them in our Hydroponic room.

Some years ago, before FB existed, I ran a website about food, averaging around 60.000 individual visitors per month. That would've made a request for seeds quite simple.

But I'll inquire with my Turkish greengrocers. They sometimes sell seeds too. In fact, they'll happily sell you an elephant, if you can afford it. :D

But what am I babbling about... They're on Amazon, of course:

https://www.amazon.com/Maras-Biber-Pepper-10-Seeds/dp/B01AR6WZQ8

How things change in a decade...

Same for the Urfas, they are Turkish, and of course, Amazon sells seeds (lord knows about the quality, but hey...).  Not sure about the growing process -- I know they are allowed to ripen quite a bit on the plant before, and then the drying process is rather specific.

https://www.amazon.com/Urfa-Biber-Isot-Pepper-10-Seeds/dp/B00HXM76T6

Interestingly, the internet describes them as very hot, but I've always found them to be not-so-intense, although the heat can certainly get stronger as you eat more.

If you're interested in just seeing what they taste like and can't find them locally, may I humbly suggest ordering from here -- an independently-owned spice shop that I always make sure to hit up when the wife and I visit the inlaws, with an online store and a nice little pepper selection to boot.  https://allspiceonline.com/urfa-chile-crushed

user 37518 said:

Spicy foods are popular in warm climates because the capsaicin makes you sweat, and the evaporation cools you.  Hot spices are also popular in China (Sichuan and Hunan cuisine.)

For today's TMI, I was visiting a capacitor factory in Juarez, Mexico last century and they were wining and dining the engineer who could spec in their parts and the purchasing agents who order them.

We asked to go to the best Mexican restaurant in the area and they told us the best was on the American side of the river (el Paso). Perhaps Mexicans don't go to fancy restaurants and/or they didn't want to embarrass the gringo (me)... I had consumed several cervezas and asked a waiter to bring me a jalapeño to chew on because the meal wasn't hot enough. I suspect he could have found a pepper in the kitchen to hurt me with, but that would not serve their immediate plan.  (Yes I was being an ugly American).

JR

JohnRoberts said:
Spicy foods are popular in warm climates because the capsaicin makes you sweat, and the evaporation cools you.  Hot spices are also popular in China (Sichuan and Hunan cuisine.)

For today's TMI, I was visiting a capacitor factory in Juarez, Mexico last century and they were wining and dining the engineer who could spec in their parts and the purchasing agents who order them.

We asked to go to the best Mexican restaurant in the area and they told us the best was on the American side of the river (el Paso). Perhaps Mexicans don't go to fancy restaurants and/or they didn't want to embarrass the gringo (me)... I had consumed several cervezas and asked a waiter to bring me a jalapeño to chew on because the meal wasn't hot enough. I suspect he could have found a pepper in the kitchen to hurt me with, but that would not serve their immediate plan.  (Yes I was being an ugly American).

JR

I dont know about Juarez but Tijuana is all about giving too many cervezas (and women) to Americans. When I go to tourist locations here in México like the beach for example, the locals speak to me in english trying to sell me something, they assume I am a gringo because I am white, after I reply in spanish they give me a much lower price ahahaha

My father loves to bargain, even if its only $1, i hate that, always makes me uncomfortable

user 37518 said:
I dont know about Juarez but Tijuana is all about giving too many cervezas (and women) to Americans. When I go to tourist locations here in México like the beach for example, the locals speak to me in english trying to sell me something, they assume I am a gringo because I am white, after I reply in spanish they give me a much lower price ahahaha

My father loves to bargain, even if its only $1, i hate that, always makes me uncomfortable
I can drink in several languages (mas cerveza por favor).... I have told my TJ story too many times, but it begins with the strip clubs in San Diego not letting us in because we were already too drunk. TJ was more welcoming.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
I can drink in several languages (mas cerveza por favor).... I have told my TJ story too many times, but it begins with the strip clubs in San Diego not letting us in because we were already too drunk. TJ was more welcoming.

JR

I was told by some friends from TJ, that decades ago there were some bars over there in which 'waiters' would pass by and present to you a tray with any type of drug you may want, like a dessert cart  ;D ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXIRWeWkWC0

Anyone care to recommend a small batch habby sauce that is max on flavor but doesn't have a vinegar base? I've found the ones that use water/carrot juice really deliver the taste of peppers before the heat kicks in. A good example would be anything from El Yucateco. Red or Black (xxx) are standards to my tongue! Thanks.

Back