How Do You Solder This Type of TRS Plug?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Hi Folks,

I'm making up some TRS patch leads for my home studio. I ended up buying EWI plugs as they were quite a bit cheaper than better-known brands like Neutrik. However, I'm having a bit of trouble soldering onto the plug's connectors.

The connectors have a small hole in them (see image attached). What I don't get is how you are supposed to attach the wire/s to the connectors. What I've found is that if there's anything (solder or wire) on the outside of the connector, the plastic cover doesn't fit and then the plug can't be closed up. But soldering to the inside is almost impossible, especially once one or two of the wires are attached. Should the wire pass through the hole? Inside to out, outside to in?

I'm sure there are people on this forum who could solder these in their sleep  :D

Any tips or advice on how to do this?

Cheers,

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1708.JPG
    IMG_1708.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 73
Here's a thread on GS that looks to be talking about these or similar...... I'd just do the best you can soldering them inside...or get different ones    .. Looks like fun////

#18 you have to start to solder from the ground, then the tip and finally the ring and this because if you start from the ring you gonna have a hell of a day to solder the tip and the ground

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/connectors-cables-stands-and-accessories/1134671-solder-cable-trs-stereo-jack-neutrik-np3x.html

Thanks, I love GS threads - everyone says something different!

Yes, a poor design. Having a close look at the connectors, I think the best way is to solder the ground on the inside (the connector is basically flush against the outside) and the tip and ring outside as they're inset a small amount.

I've got about 20 to do so I should have it worked out by the last one  ::)

Cheers!

Actually, upon closer inspection I've noticed that the T/R connectors are inset so that the plastic insert can cover them. There's actually no room on the outside, which means that all connectors need to be soldered from the inside.

Hopefully these are for fixed installs. Doesn't take much soldering to get those  on but I sure wouldn't want to touch them too much after.....

The Amphenols are pretty cool in a cheaper route....but the shield/sleeve? case likes to loosen up on them from my experience....but fun to work with....

Hi Cpsmusic,

Just to be sure, I would use some heatshrink or rubber sleeves on the tip and ring, possible also the ground.  the contacts are a bit too close for my liking and a likely place for a short.

Cheers

Mike

+1.... I was wondering about that too but wasn't sure if it would make the sleeve too tight.....  definitely unique design...almost like an xlr set up on a trs..... I guess you could always dab some liquid tape if the shrink was too bulky...... I've never tried that before but seems like it could work. Hopefully they would never have to be redone later......

It's a good design nothing wrong with that, it's similar to Neutrik Jack connectors.

You solder the Shield to the inside

You solder the conductors inside, outside, thought hole ore not, whatever as those tabs can be bent to your liking

I really don't see whats the problem....

Hi Folks,

Just a quick update. After soldering about 20 of these I think I've figured it out.

The easiest way is to solder all wires to the inside of the connectors, starting with the shield. Bend the T/R wires outwards then push them onto the inside of the connectors so that they press against the connector. Then apply the soldering iron tip to the outside of the connector. The thing that makes the most difference is to tin the ends of the wires.

I had a lot of trouble when I tried to solder the wires to the outside of the connectors as it made it hard to fit the plastic cover over the connectors - it's a tight fit so any solder or wire on the outside means that the cover won't go on.

Cheers,

Chris

Whoops said:
It's a good design nothing wrong with that, it's similar to Neutrik Jack connectors.

You solder the Shield to the inside

You solder the conductors inside, outside, thought hole ore not, whatever as those tabs can be bent to your liking

I really don't see whats the problem....

Same here - I think these are the same type I bought from Studiospares a while back as on offer / clearance pricing.
I found they take solder pretty well.
Was using Cu screen - Tin screen push it through the hole. Solder to ensure good solid connection. Snip outside to be more or less flush with connector. It's a tight fit to get the cover on - but the ground tab can easily be eased back and since any short there is to shell it's not a problem.
Collet type clamping seems to work quite well if wire suitable OD.

Back