How much power does a Neve V3 with flying fader automation consume??

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammas

Some very close friends (relatives in fact) are giving hard thought to investing
in a Neve V3 with flying fader automation. Great looking desk! But, it would
be their first high end large format console. With little experience in the repairs
required and the potentially lethal power consumption I have a strong inkling that
such a purchase will put them 10 steps backwards in a business sense.

Presumably the desk will need to stay on 24hours a day. What kind of wattage
does it draw?
It is a 60 channel desk and from what I've seen it has a total of
4 PSU's. Two large (5-6 rack unit), two small (probably 3 to 4 rack unit). I suspect
one of these is at least a redundant supply.

I've never touched one, but they are pretty strongly leaning towards a great deal
of debt to get one "because it is a neve". They think it will drastically increase business
but I'm not so sure. In fact, I think it may very well end their business but I haven't
any experience with it.

Care to offer some words of wisdom?

the 2 large PSU's are for the console channels and center section... then there is a PSU for the meters and a PSU for the flying faders stuff.

no redundant supply there.

we have 2 Vr's at work. They are easy to work on but require their fair share of maintenance. In our case, we have had more issues with switches breaking they anything else. Lucky you can pull the switch apart and replace the widgit  inside which is needed to make them latch again...

if they going to do it, keep this handly for certain hard to obtain parts.

http://www.scotchmcneilaudio.com/

sorry couldn't answer your question. never gave it thought to look into it.

You'll be able to run it all from a 20amp 240V feed...

Peak inrush is pretty high, so breakers might pop on switch-on, if you don't do some soft-start mods... but most people just put up with the breaker-reset dance when they power-up...

Do keep the fan filters (underneath the big supplies) cleaned regularly. -Set an auto reminder for every couple of months, perhaps.

Me? -I'm glad I don't have to recap every few years, or replace the switch latches all the time any more.

The smaller PSU stuff is automation supply, and another +250VDC power supply for the plasma meters. (oh yeah... there's another thing I don't miss repairing all the friggin' time!!!)

Keith

Cheers for the comments guys!

Going by your comments, Keith we are looking at about 42,000 kilowatt hours for the desk per year. Not
a bad effort really!  ;)

Breaker switch dance is probably the best option if it is only powered up a handful of times a year.

Regarding maintenance, is it as bad as I've heard? Say compared to an Amek Mozart/Hendrix or something similar?

Mozart is a walk in the park compared to a V3.  The component count must be close to 3x a Mozart.  And, they run it really hot with those sandwiched cards so the caps are a problem.
The main consideration after the power consumption is the condition of the switches and pots- was the console well maintained since first powered?  Smoke environments and poor cleaning habits really depreciate a large console.
Mike

Sammas said:
Regarding maintenance, is it as bad as I've heard? Say compared to an Amek Mozart/Hendrix or something similar?

Oh yeah... believe that.

It's perhaps about 4 or 5 times more intensive than a mozzy to maintain.

The lousy airflow and ridiculous component density, plus the under-rated electrolytic capacitor voltage just seals the deal.

Keith

SSLtech said:
Sammas said:

Oh yeah... believe that.

It's perhaps about 4 or 5 times more intensive than a mozzy to maintain.

The lousy airflow and ridiculous component density, plus the under-rated electrolytic capacitor voltage just seals the deal.

Keith

+1

The breaker dance can be reduced significantly by smoothly easing the breakers up together, NOT flicking them up.

Recapping every couple of years can be avoided by using suitable caps in the first place, such as the types that Neve use in the later VR consoles. A lifespan of around 15 years is feasible. The caps are expensive, but so is the labour for recapping.

Edited to add the following:
The second half of the article in this link provides some insight into the time and materials required for a 48 channel VR refurb; it would be similar for 48 channels of V3.
http://www.ams-neve.com/NewsAndEvents/AMS-Neve-VRP48-SSR-Spirit_Studio.aspx

Regards,

Gareth.

Recapping every couple of years can be avoided by using suitable caps in the first place, such as the types that Neve use in the later VR consoles.

I agree with recapping. But not with the quality of caps used in VR/VR Legend. I worked with VRLegend60, VX60 and VXS72 and the two VX desk had military grades electrolitycs standard (rated 125°c, with small metal enclosure). Never had a problem with them but the VR needed recapping every 5/6 years. The military grades types are pricey and really difficult to find but worth it imho.

One thing wich is really pricey too is the small 'crystal' and 'red crystal' caps buttons for solo and mute: nearly 8euros/piece and f.cking fragile! Be" gentle with them....

+1. When doing 'everyday' maintenance you find yourself regularly seeing 'carbon dust' or kind of burned area on the sandwich ribbon cables for the eq cards...

As Pucho said , Neil McComby is 'THE MAN'  for Neve desks maintenance. Highly competent and really a great guy... but overbusy sadly. He conditionned the 2 VX desks i spoked and i really learned during the few days i helped him with the task for one of them.

Back