I'm rich... O.k. so it's a scam at best.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Good Day

I am Mr. John Cliff, a regional managing director (coris bank int'l) Ouagadougou Burkina Faso, in my department we have US$9,500.0000 million united state dollars, to transfer into your account as a dormant fund.If you are interested to use this fund to help the orphans around the
world contact me and send your personal information for more details:

Your full names................
Your country of origin................
Your occupation..............
Your Age.......................
Your Mobile Number°......................

Best Regards
Mr. John Cliff
My number is +226 64 31 02 02

HAHAHA spam in the work e-mail.... ::)

I used to get a dozen of these a day.

Story in the newspaper today. The gimmick was "lottery winnings", but same game. Some older woman responded with at least a phone number. The scammer was calling her at all hours, being very sweet, calling her "dear", explaining why the process was taking so long and asking her to send money for "fees". She was out $70,000 before relatives noticed the cash-flow and got the police in. No hope of recovery, of course.

The letters are often very bad. Why? The scammers have learned to target gullible people. If you think these letters can be legitimate, you can be manipulated. That way the scammers don't waste time on people smart enough to hit DEL on sight.

That's really sad...about the old lady.

These pathetic scams have almost been around as long as the internet.  15 years?

All this tells me, is that life is really hard in other parts of the world.

desol said:
These pathetic scams have almost been around as long as the internet.  15 years?

And they just stepped in, but have always been there way before the internet. In the mailbox, or door-to-door scaming... it's just a lazier way to do it ... even more pathetically.

> These pathetic scams have almost been around as long as the internet.  15 years?

Rather longer than that:

Another variant of the scam, dating back to circa 1830, appears very similar to what is passed via email today: "‘Sir, you will doubtlessly be astonished to be receiving a letter from a person unknown to you, who is about to ask a favour from you ...' and goes on to talk of a casket containing 16,000 francs in gold and the diamonds of a late marchioness."

I see a phrase like "you will doubtlessly be astonished to {get this}" in a LOT of Nigerian Letters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_scam

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Prisoner

> life is really hard in other parts of the world

Same all over. The average inner-city drug seller lives at home with his mother on poverty-pay. The average Nigerian (and EVERYwhere) scam-letter writer also lives in poverty. Why do they do it? They can't picture any glamorous future in low-paid honest work; OTOH there are a *few* very wealthy dealers and scammer who came out of the slums, and all their serfs may *hope* to rise the same way.

Here is a scam I received last month from [email protected]  (taxbeck typo for taxback ?  ::) )

"
Tax Refund !

After the last annual calculation of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of:

Average German Tax Back: €2020

To receive a tax refund we require one proof of identity and one
proof of address (not older than three months). Please provide
the following:

* A scanned copy of your Current valid (signed) full DE Passport
or Current Full DE Driving License.

* A scanned copy of a Utility Bill (Not mobile phones)/ Council
Tax Bill or Bank Statement. Please note that we do not accept
online statements!

To receive tax refund please provide your Credit Card number

Please attach and send documents : [email protected]  (haha @europe.com nice one)

Kind Regards,
Taxback.com Department

Cecilia Cederskjold Kieran
Compliance Officer
"

With the amount of tax we have to pay nowadays I know some people that could go for it without thinking too much (even if it's hard to believe they want to refund me without knowing my name  :p) ....

The letters are often very bad. Why? The scammers have learned to target gullible people. If you think these letters can be legitimate, you can be manipulated. That way the scammers don't waste time on people smart enough to hit DEL on sight.
I always thought that was because they were lazy but it makes sense...

L´Andratté said:
You´re missing the chance of your life ;)

Probably.  There are people all over Africa who desperately need to transfer money from dormant accounts, but their reputations have been ruined by a small minority of thoughtless scammers.

It's also getting really hard to give away MASSIVE YACHTS.

it is remarkable how creative these scammers get. I repeat my old refrain that life is an ongoing  IQ test, and people must fall for this poop or they wouldn't still be doing it.

I lose count of how many phishing attacks I get on a daily basis. I get some obviously robot emails that always come from different email addresses, probably from infected private PCs they are controlling remotely.

Lately I've started getting emails with zip files attached claiming to be faxes or voice messages.

The junk emails even have a link to click to get removed, but that link is not what it claims, I like how with the MAC mail program when you mouse over a link it tells you the real URL before you click on it.

Rarely do the real URLs agree with the phishing.

----

Then there's the junk phone calls, even being on the do not call list does not stop them. The list of exclusions does not stop the worst of them.

yesterday some young man knocked on my door trying to sell me some security service.  He told a BS story about kids messing with wires on the telephone line, and he had a device he could attach that would stop them...  I told him I had a device that would stop them too.  8)

I guess there a lot of easy marks out there.

JR

Latest posts

Back