inexpensive sub

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judejay

I'm getting more into some electronica and dubstep style music and I'm now seeing that I really need a sub to hear and work with some of the frequencies I'm exploring. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive sub that would compliment my system? I guess a powered sub would be preferred-otherwise, I'll also need an inexpensive power amp-probably a second alesis.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I'm getting more into some electronica and dubstep style music and I'm now seeing that I really need a sub to hear and work with some of the frequencies I'm exploring. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive sub that would compliment my system? I guess a powered sub would be preferred-otherwise, I'll also need an inexpensive power amp-probably a second alesis.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Check your local craigslist/Facebook/etc for a used HSU subwoofer. They are miles better than the affordable "studio subs". They will shake your f'kn guts and legitimately go down to like 16-18hz.

Another good brand to look for is Rythmik.

The HSU subs have impressive specs. I’ve never seen, though they seem to be local (based in Anaheim). They are fair priced, though not “inexpensive,” as the OP stated. Plus, a crossover seems to be required, which is not a bad thing, but may increase the cost and complexity of the system.

I will definitely look into the HSU for myself and my installs.

Thanks!

The HSU subs have impressive specs. I’ve never seen, though they seem to be local (based in Anaheim). They are fair priced, though not “inexpensive,” as the OP stated. Plus, a crossover seems to be required, which is not a bad thing, but may increase the cost and complexity of the system.

I will definitely look into the HSU for myself and my installs.

Thanks!
Couple things,

1 - On the used market, there are lots of them for 2 reasons, first because some Home Theater guys are after the next big thing. "Oh the new model hits 1db more at 16hz, must have..." So you see a lot of few year old ones going for great prices... Second are the guys wives whose photos rattled off the wall and are like "that thing has to go".

2 - Depends on the speaker/room/etc. But... I installed their new affordable 12" model here with no crossover to fill out the bottom on some ATC here. Absolutely fantastic. I have it tuned very conservatively, but when I got it, I had a little fun and tested it with his bass reference CD.

That thing will rearrange your guts.

For monitoring mixes I would be inclined to attempt sonic accuracy (which could even involve bass traps and room treatment). If you can't do that try to mimic the sound systems the listeners will use.

If your system is way different than your listeners they will not hear what you hear. 🤔

JR

Back