Will be selling a late U47, PS and accessories-What's the best way to test?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone flying in the vintage mic stratosphere is going to be very familiar with repair and restoration. They'll have Klaus Heyne on speed-dial, or at least a local repair shop they've used for the last 25 years and trust totally. They won't want - no offence - some guy on the Internet trying to fix it for them.

I'd suggest the best thing would be to provide as much (honest) information as possible on its current state, and let the buyer decide what to fix. Like, would they prefer to keep 10% more original parts, or have 2dB lower noise?

My guess would be that the condition of the capsule, the tube, and the output transformer would be the most critical, assuming none of the mechanical parts are badly broken.

Still looking forward to TLRT's important details to be checked first...!
First check the capsule mounts, those gets conductive. (You get noises,and polarization voltage drop)Yes there are expensive isolation testers, but this 25usd eBay tester is fully enough for this(measure up to 2gigaohms)
Rubber part can be easily replaced.
(this true for tube socket too)

Attachments

• IMG_20240105_232300.jpg
    IMG_20240105_232300.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Thanks, TLRT. I would not have considered the conductivity of the mount until (long after) having exhausted myself trying everything else I could come up with. Like most builder/repair guys, I've done enough tube socket replacements to hold me for life. I'm glad that you're feeling better.

Latest posts

Back