[Infinitas]: USB Audio Class 2 Interface, 32 in, 32 out, DSP

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finished soldering all the parts, and I think that I managed to get the main board to work, after successfully flashing both the Lattice chip and the XMOS. I briefly saw the device being enumerated (saw the popup "new device connected, infinitas... etc "on Windows), but then nothing. I think it is because I don't have the ADC/DAC PCBs yet, so the USB device is there but can't find any audio converter so I guess it stops working.
I will let you know when I complete the ADC/DAC board.

I spoke too soon,
after a while, the 3.3V regulator that supplies the Lattice chip and the CS2100, started smoking and catch fire out of nowhere. The project requires 12V as input, but I can't see why that high voltage, since the regulators are 3.3V and 5V ones. I think one of the 3.3V regulator couldn't properly dissipate all the heat and died. I removed it but then noticed that there was a short between 3.3V and GND rails. Removing the Lattice chip also removed the short, so I guess that when the regulator died, it killed the Lattice too.
The Lattice was fine before that, since I flashed it without issues.

Luckily the XMOS is still fine, since it is supplied by another 3.3V regulator..

well I didn't give up.. so I ordered/soldered/flashed a fresh Lattice chip. Flashing went fine (and I also reflashed the XMOS to be sure) and the main board + extension ADC/DAC board seems fine (all the voltages are good, and this time no hot chips/smoking regulators. I also checked with a microscope all the solder joints), but no sign of life when connecting the board to the computer (tried with PC and with Mac).
now I really don't know what to do..

so after a bit on analysis, I found out that the XMOS was not correctly resetting.. Fixed that and now it works. I can see 32x input and 32x outputs on my Mac. Now I will solder the remaining parts on the ADC/DAC board and check if it actually make/get a sound :)
only "issue" so far is that the sample rate is locked (by design, I think) at 48KHz and there is no 44.1KHz option

so after a bit on analysis, I found out that the XMOS was not correctly resetting.. Fixed that and now it works. I can see 32x input and 32x outputs on my Mac. Now I will solder the remaining parts on the ADC/DAC board and check if it actually make/get a sound :)
only "issue" so far is that the sample rate is locked (by design, I think) at 48KHz and there is no 44.1KHz option
Cool. Is this a board from Raphael you're using or some other XMOS pcb? I lost track of this project for a bit with this thread and different developments.

Cool. Is this a board from Raphael you're using or some other XMOS pcb? I lost track of this project for a bit with this thread and different developments.
I used the PCB gerber files on the github to manufacture the PCBs. I don't think you can use any other XMOS PCB because you need the FPGA too

Anybody mind linking the github? I searched for 'Infinitas' on github and found nothing.

Back