Inflation hedge and audio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
user 37518 said:
Don't know what will happen to hi-end audio, specially vintage gear in the future, I'll tellg you what thou, I have the opportunity to be around really young people, I'm talking 18 year olds, they are all about digital, software, ITB and the latest technollogy. The whole analog, vintage gear movement might just be a generational thing destined to die out in the future, sounds incredible but thats my prediction based on observation.

I think this is more of the Gen Z "kids". Im 27 and know plenty of younger people (The tail end of the millenials) that prefer Analog Gear and simplicity. Then again, the type of music people are making is also highly tied to gear....not many dubstep producers mixing on Vintage Neves  ;D

The kids I've seen are experts on stuff like Ableton Live, using plug-ins, virtual instruments and so on, they even mix and produce with headphones. They usually have a single input sound interface in case they want to record vocals or a guitar and so on, drums are usually programmed with plug-ins and everything is made ITB.

Most of the times that I've been to a pro studio, I've seen people, not even that young, using only two channels of a 48 channel SSL to monitor their ITB mix. When I used to record for a living around 8-9 years ago, I always used the entire console, most people were shocked about it, usually everyone went from the outboard preamps straight into ProTools, many times the studio owner of a vintage console had to apologize to me because when I used the console it was obvious that it had not been properly mantained, noisy pots, intermmitent switches, non-working channels, and so on, however, since most people didn't use the entire console those things werent apparent to them so they didn't complain either.

A good friend of mine is an A&R for Universal Music, he told me that many of the top name mixers are doing everything ITB, not all of them of course, but a lot, this is well recieved by the label because they no longer have to pay the big studio fee.

Back