Insert jack in the Gyraf G9

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnheath

Hi to you all.

I am a new member to this forum, and I am a guitar player and singer with great interest in building amps and compressors and everything that has anything to do with music really.

I am building a clone, point-to-poisnt, of the Gyraf G9 mic preamp, and I was thinking of adding an insert jack for compressors or eq,s or whatever.

My question is if anybody here know the answer on how to create this…or even better already have a schematic?

Regards

/John, Sweden

Probably the best place to insert a compressor etc it after the mic pre. So it is simply a matter of connecting the output of the G9 to whatever insert device you want and connect its output to whatever you would have connected the g9 output to. if you want to build it into the G9 itself then you could just add a pair of half normalled jacks before the output XLR.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian

Yes what you describe is no news to me but I have a couple of preamps with a "insert jack" and it gives me more ways of connecting things and since there are "no rules" in recording I like those ways =)

Ok, but there are rules in electronics.  If you have a preamp with an insert jack already, I suspect it's a channel strip, with multiple devices in it and not simply a preamp. 

The insert in that piece is specifically for their EQ module, which does not work stand-alone.  It also lists an operating level of -18dBu, which is rather low. 

The only place you'd insert into a G9 would be high impedance, and upset something else.  It would be very specific in usage, and not work well with most equipment.  After the output is the only good option. 

Yes so I have read, but it is also for use with their own compressor… that is where I got the idea to, and with some great results, recorded a couple of songs with a compressor inserted in that insert jack… so, for my new diy mic preamp project I though that it might be useful one day? But if you say it won,t be good for the G) then I will let it go =)

Thanks

/John

Latest posts

Back