Installing DBX 202C gold can on a GSSL instead of the THAT 2180

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone knows what to change when using 202c instead of 2181? 🥹
I don't see it being resolved here in this thread !?

What do you think, innercityman, have you solved it?
Sorry for this maybe "stupid" question for the most of you guys, but I want to replace the 2180 VCA's with a pair of DBX 202C gold can that I bought for a good price. So what needs to be done, simply pull out all the components on each VCA's place and solder the 202 instead ? I guess some resistors values need to be changed right ?

So far I think: 2x 50K trim Pots needs to be added and 2x 1M resistors.
Im not sure about the jumpers.. or if other % spots needs to be populated for 202C's.

Attachments

• %.png
    %.png
    669.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Maybe other things needs to change?
it's been quiet for a while.. still tryin to finish my unit with 202C's, but im stuck :( :( :(

Last edited:
The only thing you can do to improve things is parallel more vcas for slightly less noise.
Excuse my ignorance- I didn't find much on single vs. quad VCA's. There's a few mentions in the SB4000 build thread, though.

Is it actually correct that quad configuration yields 6(-ish) dB higher SNR which should be around 85(?) dB in common GSSL builds according to this thread?

Excuse my ignorance- I didn't find much on single vs. quad VCA's. There's a few mentions in the SB4000 build thread, though.

Is it actually correct that quad configuration yields 6(-ish) dB higher SNR which should be around 85(?) dB in common GSSL builds according to this thread?
It will yield less noise, typically -3 per pair, then -3 for four, then -3 for 8. Because it's random noise cancelling, it varies, but the SSL and DBX use of 8 was for that reason.

Keep in mind that most VCA faders were in use when we had tape and a lot of other noisy stuff, so the S/N wasn't so apparent in those days. Driving a VCA correctly gives pretty respectable noise levels.

It will yield less noise, typically -3 per pair, then -3 for four, then -3 for 8. Because it's random noise cancelling, it varies, but the SSL and DBX use of 8 was for that reason.

Keep in mind that most VCA faders were in use when we had tape and a lot of other noisy stuff, so the S/N wasn't so apparent in those days. Driving a VCA correctly gives pretty respectable noise levels.
Thanks Paul!

Latest posts

Back