Interesting, can this be adapted????

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da_ardvark

This is a site dedicated to ESL or electrostatic loudspeakers.

These speakers use 6 micron mylar with various conductive coatings.

I was wondering if this may be adapted for use in capsule DIY??

Sry, I'm a newbie and I may be fishing. If so please accept my apologies in advance for my ignorance.

http://www.quadesl.org/Hard_Core/General_ESL_Theory/general_esl_theory.html

Go to the hard Core section on the left and look at varions interesting DIY coatings for the mylar.

electrostatic speakers are so nice
it would be a shame to disect them just for capsule use
unless the are already fried.. :sad:

there are peeps here evaporating gold onto mylar

maybe you can work out a deal with the speakers if thery are working
OR some other arrangement for a few peices of mylar with the evaporated gold...

it IS a cool and interesting question
thanks for asking this

looking forward to hearing the answer
later
ts

i found some ES tweeters once for a steal and intended to try to reverse one into a mic, but I think it was XVLK who explained why it couldn't be done.. but I don't remember why... :roll:

I can understand your aprehension. Let me assure you my intent was never to disassamble working ESLs.

My thought was to experiment with various alternate coatings. This could be a complete waster of time, but it would theoretically allow a very cheap and easy capsule build.

Much could be learned perhaps.

yes I see.... and if there is "replacement" material available to us, intended for repairing the ES speaker, this would, no doubt, be a benifit to us all...
good idea.. :idea: .. lets see if we can determine if it will work.. :grin:

any guru advice? brainiacs...hehe :grin:
later ts

I was also thinking that 6 micro mylar is pretty common (unless coated)
I might try to just get some and try various coatings to see is a reesonable coating can be found. It will no doubt be inferior to gold, but what the heck, for experimentation it may not be horrid. That way we can cheaply work out the kinks of actual material handling (proper tension etc)
and use this newly aquired skill to great sucess once we have a decent gold mylar source.

i have read (in the meta's) that nickel is similar to gold and MUCH cheaper

great for initial experimenting...

lots of evaporation info here at the forum....
also someone was trying to GIVE AWAY an evaportation station to someone who would be willing to pick it up ... up north on the east coast somewhere...maybe the blk mkt????

maybe time to search the meta's :wink:

microphones/DIY capsules

hope this helps

later
ts

Back