Intro, and mic pre query (long!)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pstamler

Hi folks:

I'm new to the forum, so let me introduce myself. I'm Paul J. Stamler; I write articles for Recording magazine and audioXpress (ex-Audio Amateur). I've done a good deal of recording, mostly of acoustic music, and I also play in a couple of bands, which perform for dance groups. I should be practicing guitar at the moment.

Here's my query. I've published two mic pre designs so far; one was a tubed design which ran in audioXpress, using a JT110KE input Xformer, with active duty handled by the two sections of a 6SN7 tube. It sounds very nice.

The other, which also sounds very nice, was an IC-based design. It also used a JT110KE tranny, with gain handled by a Burr-Brown OPA604 opamp (first stage) and a Linear Technologies LT1028a opamp (second stage). It had both balanced (-10dBV) and unbalanced (+4dBu) outputs and a simple EQ circuit, all based around OPA604/2604 chips; the power supply was quite complex, with a brute-force raw supply (external), pre-regulator card (LM317/337-based), and on-card regulators using opamps (normally NE5534s) and pass transistors -- basically the Sulzer regulator circuit, as published in TAA years ago. All parts are high-quality; typically there are only one or two coupling capacitors in the direct circuit (one between the slider of the level control and the second stage, the other between the first stage and the control -- that one's not there when you're set to flat bass response.) The second stage has a servo. All caps are polystyrene or polypropylene. All ICs use current-source biasing to force their output stages into single-ended Class-A operation.

Here's the question. I've had requests for a smaller, less expensive version of this preamp, one where builders could put up to 8 channels in a 2RU cabinet, for use in project studios and remote rigs where 8 channels of low-coloration preamp would be welcome. I've done the design work and come up with what I think is reasonable. I've deleted the EQs, made bass rolloff simpler (either 100Hz or flat), added phantom switching for the individual channels. The biggest changes are two. I've simplified the supply; regulators are still on-card, but they're now LM317/337 (with TL783 for the phantom), with no pre-regulator. And I've added the option of using an NE5534a for the second gain stage, after the level control, which actually provides the lion's share of gain in this design. (One can choose a 5534a for the first stage too, but one then sacrifices the possibility of running it direct-coupled when the bass rolloff is switched out.) Using an NE5534a for the second stage saves about $80 in an eight-channel board. Parts mostly come from Digi-Key and Allied Electronics.

Projected cost for the unit as designed would be about $150 per channel, not including the cost of the circuit board, plus about $100 for the shared power supply, again not including the cost of the board, or the box to put it all in. Two channels would cost $400 plus boards and boxes, four channels would cost $700 plus B&B, eight channels $1300 plus B&B. (One can remove features and save money; for example, you could eliminate the balanced outs, or unbalanced ones, and save a few bucks.) This isn't a Mackie-priced box by any means, but neither is it up in Gordon territory. Price is roughly comparable to a Sytek box for four inputs, or somewhat less than two Syteks for eight inputs, but this is a transformer-input box, which many people prefer, and although spartan, it has a few options the Sytek doesn't, like unbalanced outs and bass rolloff. Not to mention gain that goes lower, which is something that bothers me about the Syteks.

So...would anyone here want to build something like this? I'd be selling the article to, presumably, audioXpress, and I'd sell circuit boards, the cost of which would massively depend on how many orders I got -- you know all about circuit board setup costs.

Any interest? This doesn't pretend to be a world-beater by any means, but it's a very clean, uncolored design that has made a *lot* of good recordings for me (check out the Buckhannon Bros. CD for a good example), and it offers the possibility of packing enough channels into a small space to be useful, for not a huge amount of cash, and *way* better sound than, say, a Presonus, which seems to be the only commercial product of this nature (there are other 8-channel rigs out there, but they're all transformerless).

What think?

Peace,
Paul

Hi, Paul.
I want to welcome you and say it?s great to have you posting here! I always read your articles in Recording. Cool to know you are a fellow guitar player. I know the feeling about needing to practice. I?m in the same boat with my band. I?ve been practicing so much my fingers stay sore. Probably good for me, tho.

As far as the preamp, sounds like a great project for the lab. The current ?beginner? project around here seems to be the ?Green Pre? and yours doesn?t sound like it?s any more difficult than that. Looks like a different design to, so it?d make a great alternative/addition to the projects here. I?m currently working on a pre design right now, but it?s only going as fast as I can get funding for it, which isn?t very fast. Otherwise, I?d certainly jump right on yours. I?m sure I will eventually (as well as the Green Pre), it?s just that I have too many irons in the fire already.

I suggest you post schematics to generate interest and put the boards on the Black Market. I?m betting it would be a hot item around here.

Anyhow, I wish you great success with this endeavor, and please drop by whenever you can! :thumb:

Hi Paul,

Welcome indeed to these fora. You'll find this about as friendly a place as anywhere on the web, and the level of knowledge and experience can be astounding at times.

As Flatpicker points out, stuff you want to share goes in this forum, anything which might be seen as 'commercial' such as kits and boards for sale should go in the black market.

Cheers!
Stewart

Hi Paul, I have also read your articles Especially the SS mic pre and I also picked up a back order from audio Xpress for the tube based design. I never made the pre's yet but have always wanted too. The only prohibitive feature was making the PCB's on the SS pre. I still have the items you sent me some three years ago. At the time it was too overwhelming to start the project.
I have since built a G9, great sound. I just have to clean up the interior, fasten the transformers and Caps, add knobs and markings. I have no doubt that what you are setting up will be of top quality with great support. At the price per channel this is very competitive with most if not all projects here.

My questions are 1) do the op amps used create a different sound, more gain or both, 2) Can other transformers be used and lastly 3) does the pre have an instrument "in" or can it be fitted with one.

Just a note for protocol here is if you are "selling" it is a black market post. If it's info or items R&D it's lab stuff but....you still see help in the lab for items that are by definition commercial.
Right now you are asking for interest, I know you will find some. After you generate your minimum order interest and start selling you post that ad in the black market.

I can't wait to see results. I'm off to check out the recordings you listed.

Hi Paul & welcome.

Which is the mic pre featured at this site?

http://www.zhp.homestead.com/zhppreamps.html

I've been interested in building it but the Recording back orders do not list the article in the Oct-Dec 1998 issues

http://www.musicmakerpub.com/store_rec_98.html

Regards
Peter

Peter you can get reprints of Pauls construction article from www.audioxpress.com. I highly reccomend it. His 'op amp based' mic preamp appeared as a sequence of articles in the 1996 Audio Amateur magazines (Paul please correct me here if I am wrong). I built two channels from PCBs that Paul sold me at that time and I still use it today! It is an excellent design that I consider to be on par with my Great River preamp.

First, thanks for the multiple good words. Second, let me open mouth and remove foot: both of the preamp projects used the JT115K-E, not the JT110K-E. That'll teach me to post after 2 a.m..

As for the difference between opamps, no, there's no difference in gain; that's set by the feedback networks. The tradeoff in Stage 2 is that the LT1028a has slightly lower noise (not as much lower as one would expect; it needs a 500 ohm resistor in series with its + input to be unconditionally stable, and that means it's not as quiet as it might otherwise be) and a somewhat different harmonic spectrum in this application, but a higher cost. Oh, the LT1028a also has a lot less input bias current, so the servo doesn't have to work so hard. I haven't done an A/B listening test between the two.

The tradeoff in the input stage is more interesting. The OPA604 is slightly tubelike in that it's generating a more complex harmonic spectrum when fed from the tranny (that old thing of higher source impedances making FET-input circuits misbehave). The 5534a is super-clean, with only low harmonics in the THD spectrum -- provided you use a Philips/Signetic chip. (TI chips aren't as clean.) The affect is different. If I was building an 8-in unit, I'd do six channels of 5534a and 2 of OPA604, or maybe the other way around. However, the 5534a must use a large coupling cap for the "flat" setting, while the OPA604 can be direct-coupled.

Interestingly enough, the 5534a and the OPA604, when fed by this transformer, have almost identical noise levels. The 5534a's lower e sub n is made up for by its higher i sub n.

Peace,
Paul

[quote author="StrayCat"]
My questions are 1) do the op amps used create a different sound, more gain or both, 2) Can other transformers be used and lastly 3) does the pre have an instrument "in" or can it be fitted with one. [/quote]

I already tackled 1) in a previous reply. 2) Yes, other transformers can be used, provided they're the same ratio as the JT115K-E (1:10). There are some interesting tradeoffs if you use lower ratios. I haven't tried the design with any other trannies except for a very early iteration with 5534a's on the input and the JT110. It's very nice, but the JT115 has better transient response in my experience, with the tradeoff of needing to be padded for high-level low-frequency signals, as it has a lower saturation point than the JT110. I'll take transients, personally, and other issues militate against the 110 too. 3) Yes, an instrument input is possible, and will be an option on the boards. Basically just a direct in to the first opamp, with a high resistance to ground, with a switch to connect up the mic tranny and proper parallel resistor to terminate said tranny.

It'd be a pretty clean instrument input, good for keyboards and the like, maybe not enough distortion for guitar or bass (yes, I know, reamping, but it's not quite the same).
Peace,
Paul

[quote author="Carl_Huff"]Peter you can get reprints of Pauls construction article from www.audioxpress.com. I highly reccomend it. His 'op amp based' mic preamp appeared as a sequence of articles in the 1996 Audio Amateur magazines (Paul please correct me here if I am wrong). I built two channels from PCBs that Paul sold me at that time and I still use it today! It is an excellent design that I consider to be on par with my Great River preamp.[/quote]

I am now blushing.

A couple of updates for anyone planning to build the original design: you need to insert a 500 ohm (or thereabouts -- I used 511) resistor between the slider of the level control and the input of stage 2, to make sure the LT1028a remains unconditionally stable. And some builders have reported oscillation problems with the on-card regulators. I've found that Signetics/Philips 5534s are significantly more stable than Texas Instruments; if you can't get those, TL071's will do the job; slightly lower performance than 5534s, but probably not a deal-breaker.

Pardon, please, the multiple posts.

Peace,
Paul

[quote author="peterc"]
Which is the mic pre featured at this site?

http://www.zhp.homestead.com/zhppreamps.html

I've been interested in building it but the Recording back orders do not list the article in the Oct-Dec 1998 issues

http://www.musicmakerpub.com/store_rec_98.html
[/quote]

The one featured on the "zhppreamps" site is the original design as published in Audio Amateur; it's slightly revised in the Recording article, mostly adding a couple of terminal pads to the board.

I don't know why Recording's website doesn't list the articles, but they're there. Apparently they've gone through several website designers in the last while.

Peace,
Paul

[quote author="pstamler"]-- provided you use a Philips/Signetic chip...[/quote]Hey Paul, do you know of a good source for these?

[quote author="Flatpicker"][quote author="pstamler"]-- provided you use a Philips/Signetics chip...[/quote]Hey Paul, do you know of a good source for these?[/quote]

At the moment I don't; I'm working off the ones I bought several years ago. They're out there, though; Benchmark uses Philips 5534s in its DAC1 digital-to-analog converter.

Peace,
Paul

[quote author="pstamler"]At the moment I don't; I'm working off the ones I bought several years ago...Benchmark uses Philips 5534s...[/quote]They could be using old stock too. Man, those things are as scarce as hen's teeth!

hola paul.si entiendo bien diseñaste un pre con la valvula 6sn7 y el integrado 5534?.
hay mucha diferencia con el 5532 (porque de estos tengo los utilice para el compresor vari mu de prr que todabia no lo pude hacer que funcione bien).
tengo tiradas por ahi muchas 6sn7 y no les estaba dando utilidad porque fabrico amplificadores de guitarra y mas que 12ax7 y 6l6 no uso.me estoy enviciando con esos "hagalos usted mismo" y me parece interesante.ya tengo copiado el la2 , un 1272 y un pre con ef86 que es un viejo diseño de neve que encontre por ahi.y con el mic no se que hacer si el g7 o la copia del m251.saludos y agradecimientos (es un alivio tremendo que sepas español :thumb: ).
cristian.

[quote author="SUPERMAGOO"]This text has been automatically translated from Spanish:
Este texto se ha traducido automáticamente de español:

hello paul.si I understand well you designed pre with the valve 6sn7 and integrated the 5534. there is much difference with the 5532 (because of these I have uses for the compressor vari mu of prr that todabia I could not cause it that it works well). I have distances by ahi many 6sn7 and it was not giving utility them because I make guitar amplifiers and but that 1àx7 and 6l6 uso.me I am not corrupting with those "hagalos same you" and it seems to me interesante.ya I have copied la2, a 1272 and pre with ef86 that is an old design of neve that encontre by ahi.y with the mic that not to become if g7 or the copy of the m251.saludos and gratefulness (it is a tremendous lightening that you know Spanish. :thumb: ).
cristian.[/quote]

Back