Just Another C12 Clone...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchgtr

...but this one's mine!
    Not the first, the fanciest or most like the original, but I already love the sound and find that it likes my own voice.
    This has an RK-12 capsule from the group buy last year, a Cinemag output transformer, and a black plate 6072. Instead of driving across town for some 5000pf caps I made some by putting two metal film .01uf caps in series, and the 1uf output cap is something I got years ago at All Electronics, and I can't remember whether it's polyester, polypro, or whatever. I do have some alternatives for that cap, but so far, this one sounds great. Originally put a 1500pf polypro in the capsule position, but installed a 1n polyester there and found it's a lot smoother that way.
    Used it last night for some scratch vox, and it sounds very natural and takes growl-y sounds and blues-ey ad libs extremely well.
    I basically followed the 460 to C12 conversion info found here and elsewhere on the net, and it was so easy I'm regretting not buying a 2nd. Needless to say, the original mics sound was not worth documenting...
    As I mentioned in the White Market thread on these mics, I was surprised to find that the zeners regulating the B+ were lower values than usually found in these PSUs, and they did not need to be changed to provide the proper voltage for this circuit. Unloaded, they were putting out about 140v, and the heater was at 6.6v.
    Also, I used another RK-12 capsule, and  Cinemag to upgrade my recent Big Ugly/G7 build, which improved that thrown-together mic dramatically, and tho it sounds as good as this one, it is different for many reasons.
    Thanks Chunger, and good luck to you and Matador on your C12 circuit. I'm definitely in for some head-baskets when they are ready.

Attachments

• JWC12.jpg
    JWC12.jpg
    76.6 KB
Awesome!
I have some very similar mic builds. I really like the RK12 capsules in the Royer circuit.
Did you trace out the psu scematic? I'm working on a conversion right now and the schematic I found on the web shows the heater set up for 12v?

Hi dmp,   
    I've been using the standard 460 schematic.
  I have no idea why the heater voltage on this PSU came out at 6.6v. I had wondered about that, since the schemo clearly shows 12v for the heater, and that's why I checked. Maybe there is something I don't understand about the current draw when both halves of the tube are being used. Once I realized that it didn't need to be changed, I didn't look into it further, but maybe I'll open it up and see if those values match the schemo.
    The RK-12s are definitely a cut above the standard 67-style capsule that comes in these things. I'll bet the Campbell C-12s are even that far above these, and hopefully one day I will try one, but for now, I'm very happy with the RKs.
  Guess I should also check voltages under load...
Thanks for looking and commenting. I know there are a lot of C12 clone threads, but I'm surprised at how inexpensive and easy this was.
As always, love this forum, and the great attitude around here.

Latest posts

Back