Just Happy we're back! Thanks for keeping it together and spending your time

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgb

I  failed. While the server security updates were a success, the core software update was a complete failure. I found out the hard way that given our hardware, BBpress just can't handle our size and traffic as efficiently as SMF can. Apologies for the long downtime. -Ethan
Sorry for the exercise on your part , nice to be home, can we do anything about that white background ?

okgb said:
I  failed. While the server security updates were a success, the core software update was a complete failure. I found out the hard way that given our hardware, BBpress just can't handle our size and traffic as efficiently as SMF can. Apologies for the long downtime. -Ethan
Sorry for the exercise on your part , nice to be home, can we do anything about that white background ?
Not wanting to be flippant, but, why?

Looks like somebody here is a hopeless apple fanboy. Or is GroupDIY somehow actually sponsored by them since it's the icon of the website on all the tabs and bookmarks.

I left the above space empty to demonstrate the usefulness of the apple white space design principles on an engineering website.

okgb said:
I wrote this for Firefox after the UI upgrade a while back. You can put it in the userContent.css file to tone down the white, downsize the kindergarten fonts and get rid of some of the blank space. You can play around with the settings (green values) to suit your taste. I'm on Windows 7. Something similar can probably be done for other browsers and macs.

@-moz-document domain('groupdiy.com') {
body {
background-color:#e8e8e8 !important; /* sets page background color (RGB) */
font-size:140% !important; /* sets the general font size */
}
h3 {
font-size:120% !important; /* this affects some headings font size */
}
h4 {
}
hr {
display: none; /* gets rid of some of the blank space */
}
}

Here's how to use userContent.css:
http://www-archive.mozilla.org/unix/customizing.html

REMEMBER you have to close all Firefox windows and restart it before changes to userContent.css will show up!

> a hopeless apple fanboy. Or is GroupDIY somehow actually sponsored by them since it's the icon of the website on all the tabs and bookmarks.

?? The icon I see on tabs is a "G".

favicon.ico

And not the Google G.

If you are seeing apples, that is odd.

After posting the custom css earlier in this thread, I decided to add a little more. This css removes even more blank space, and tints post headings a bit so it's easier to see where each one starts:

@-moz-document domain('groupdiy.com') {
  body {
      background-color:#e8e8e8 !important; /* sets page background color (RGB) */
      font-size:140% !important; /* sets the general font size here */
  }
  h3 {
  }
  h4 {
  }
  hr {
      display: none; /* gets rid of some of the blank space */
  }
  div.row > div.col-md-6 > p {
      margin-top: 2px;
  }
  div.row > div.col-md-2 > p {
  }
  div.row > div.col-lg-3 > p {
  }
  #boardindex_table > h3 {
      margin-top: 0px !important;
  }
  td.subject {
      padding-top: 0px !important;
  }
  div.message_container > div.col-md-9 > div.postarea > div.flow_hidden {
      background-color:#d8d8d8;
  }
  div.postarea > div.post > div.inner {
      padding-top: 0px;
  }
  div.likes_box {
      font-size: 1em !important;
  }
}

I don't see any  and I'm in a ... What are you talking about???

Great to be back here again, thanks Ethan for all this!

JS

I see this.

(Not a big deal though  :) Site runs smoothly and super fast. Thanks!)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    24.6 KB
> I see this.

That looks like Safari? From Apple?

No surprise that if a browser has a glitch getting favicon.ico from a site, it uses the browser-maker's logo.

Open this link in a new window (should get a small "G"), then re-fresh the forum (even quit/restart the browser).
groupdiy.com/favicon.ico

Might also empty your cache, but I hate to do that. And wouldn't over such a small issue, except to find out who is putting that apple on your screen.

All good here. No Apples.  Background looks the same as before? But blazingly fast. (iPhone,iPad,Mac)

Good work Ethan!!! During the offline period I realized I check this site about 20 times a day.  Don't know what I would do if it seized to exist. I hope you have good backups . For hardware and people!  :)

PRR said:
Open this link in a new window (should get a small "G"), then re-fresh the forum (even quit/restart the browser).
groupdiy.com/favicon.ico

Might also empty your cache, but I hate to do that. And wouldn't over such a small issue, except to find out who is putting that apple on your screen.
I've already done all that. Safari Version 6.2.8

BTW, I just tried on firefox and it's the same.

ahhh just found what peoples were talking about. Just found the little appel kinda logo on the tab. But, who cares, seriously?  ;D

Back