Kneeling Chairs and Back Problems

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PRR said:
$4000 desk
$372 monitor-arm
$320 keyboard tray
$179 power outlet
$179 power outlet
$179 power outlet
 $63 wire-tray
 $10 cup-holder
 $92 FOOT-REST!
===============
 $5,394 plus tax, shipping, and whatever other frills the $alesman sells you.

We just got the quote back.  Whole thing is just under $3,500 with shipping and tax.  It appears the price list is not reflective of street price.  The desk is almost 1/2 of the list price.

Mike

I suffer back pain
I will always suffer

manage your body
yes some people use Yoga
some use Tai Chi
and all things similar

I have used a Chiropractor BUT this is NOT for everyone
a Chiro did get me back to a comfortable situation to attempt to get back in the water and Surf again
still surfing as often as I can

YES  it hurts
YES I do get injured cos I'm not as good as I was in my younger days
:-\
but YES it is worth it

THE POINT Kev  !!!

USE IT OR LOOSE IT

keep moving, keep the joints and ligaments and muscles as flexible as possible
do what ever it takes to keep this flexibility

- AS for chairs and the computer
I try not to stay in one position for too long ... difficult when driving long distances ... so I stop and get out ... stagger pee breaks with petrols breaks etc
find a reason to stop and take in the view

- At the computer
sometimes I push the chair away and kneel on a soft mat ... then grab a different chair for a slightly different position
get up and make a coffee  :-\ ( coffee is bad - don't drink coffee )

- When watching TV
I do gentle floor exercises
front and back , twists and turns , stretches

To all with back pain
I too feel your pains

good luck

A short story about the paradoxa of back problems, diagnosis and modern medicine....

A very near standing person of me is actally facing severe back problems and staying home due to it.
His doc who knows him for over 10 years in all aspects wanted to start a combination therapy of cortison, anti-rheumaticum and fentanyl (which is a highly potent synthetic opiat pain killer 2000x heroine, so to speak!). My friend refused the fentanyl because he is a clean drug addict (and the doctor knows this)!
A day later the doctor controlled the forthcoming, and since it not greatly improved, he said 'You would feel better today if I would have given you the fentanyl injection.'
Well, this is what I call sarcasm, I was shocked to hear that.
My friend happens to be a male hospital nurse and explained to me, that he understand the sarcasm of the doctor. Fentanyl relaxes the muscles so much that you have to feel better 24h later, if it is no slipped disc. Because now the diagnosis stays indifferent, a computer tomograpy may have to be made and this costs alot more than hard painkillers...
Well, at the moment he makes some effective mobility self-tests a few times a day to detect possible nerve injuries and slowly feels a bit better - cross my fingers for him...on wednesday he is back at work and if the pain comes back the CT must be made...or directly the op if harder symptoms appear.
I cross my fingers for him...

Kind regards,
Martin

She's here!

Very nice indeed.

Sitting
sit.jpg

oh my back hurts...let's motor up to a stand (very fast smooth motor)
stand.jpg

I need to fix the screen level and such.  Will work on that.

I'm very happy so far.  If youhave back issues I think this is a great desk.

Thanks for the input guys.

Mike

Nice!

Let me know how well it's working for you. We have a guy at my work that has some back issues and that may be the ticket for him. Also congrats on the house!

Kaz

kazper said:
Nice!

Let me know how well it's working for you. We have a guy at my work that has some back issues and that may be the ticket for him. Also congrats on the house!

Kaz

Thanks!

Ya it's been pretty good so far.  I spend about 80% of my day standing and give my feet a rest every now and then.

I think this will be a big step forward in recovery.

Mike

anyone considering purchasing an exercise ball should also be ready for their cheeky friends http://youtu.be/FAXLVmjnspI

Mbira said:
Yoga, my friend.  It saved my ass...and my back.
Couldn't agree more. Also start exercising and moving periodically when having to sit on a chair for long periods. Start looking after your health and what you eat.

Since posting here a couple of years back, I've made two break-throughs:

i) learn a few back stretches. One involves twisting the trunk, whilst keeping feet straight. The other is called 'the cat and the camel' - Google it.

ii) I've bought 2 electrically-adjustable Conset desks. One for my bench, and one for my PC which I am using to write this. Got one off Ebay and the other from Gumtree. Both for a fraction of new price (you really don't want to buy these things from new).

I also find core work in the gym beneficial. Planks, push ups, crunches on a Swiss ball etc.

Justin

edit - btw, as PRR predicted, I sit here looking at my kneeling chair...I haven't used it in yrs...

4,500 views! One of the forums more popular threads!

Ah that desk still works nice!

I agree about Yoga and stretching.  It's really helpful.

These days a feel pretty good.  I've slimmed down a little, work out regularly eat well and so on.  It all leads to god general health which in turn makes my back better.

> Ah that desk still works nice!

Something different:

"The Lifespan TR-1200-DT5 places a square standing desk atop standard-size treadmill."

lifespan_treadmilldesk_hero-angle-with-computer_300dpi-edited.jpg

http://techcrunch.com/2013/03/03/why-every-office-should-switch-to-walking-desks

"The first week, I dropped 3 pounds ...and a whole percentage of body fat (as measured by a Withings scale).
"Additionally, I find myself better equipped to take on San Francisco’s hills and will often walk to a meeting now if its less than 1.5 miles away."

It's $1.5K, but obviously you can score walkers and sideboards much cheaper at tag-sales; that article has a LifeHacker link to DIY versions.

Ha! When I got my desk someone was telling me about the treadmill desks.  I've never actually seen one till now.

I haven't had my desk in the standing position for about a year.  Maybe a good thing...or about to be a bad thing.

Hi Mike,

Dunno if this has been suggested allready, but have you tried saddle chair?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddle_chair

Some people who has back problems has reported it's very helpful.

-Paavo

No I have not.  I do enjoy cowboy shirts so it may suit me.

I actually enjoy standing.  It takes a week or two to get used to.

Mike

Back