Korg Nutube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob_gould

Thoughts on this anyone?

http://korgnutube.com/en/

Seems wrong somehow, but I don't know anything about tube gear really, so I've no idea if the spiel is valid or not.

'sounds the same as a conventional tube' feels like it's a bold claim though...

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=58512.0

I contacted Korg about a year ago to see what pricing was like.  50 USD for one tube, 100 USD for the development board.  That probably explains why there are no 500 series NuTube mic preamps.

This has come up many times on other forums.

It is a good deal for Noritaki. VFD sales have plunged to zero, the vast factory cleared-out to make LED TVs or bamboo flooring; but they keep one machine rented to KORG and probably better terms than they ever got for oven displays.

It is a crappy vacuum tube. In audio we want enough current to shove stray capacitance around 5,000 times a second or faster. In displays, 10 changes per second is absurd, but great emphasis on Low Power. So these things are lamer than battery-radio tubes. (Which are very readily available, Golden-Age stock, at much lower prices than KORG is charging.) You *need* buffers in and out.

That said: you are gonna need lots of chips anyway to make a real product. So the small buffering the NuTube needs is trivial on the cost-sheet, especially compared to the market advantage of "Genuine Vacuum Tube Technology!!"

Anecdote: I once got a commercial tube channel, lot of chips and a 12AX7. Working without a schematic, I bypassed parts which I did not need. I made it sound a little better. On a later listen, I noted that it "warmed up" in 2 seconds, not 11 seconds. I had bypassed the tube! And was better off without it. (For that situation: dead-clean concert recording with inexperienced operators.)

Hi..i used it for my guitar. Tubes do change the sound as they amplify and it’s often said the sound is “warmer”. Without getting too deep in the rabbit hole this comes from many factors; some tube amplifiers add noise, while others have a low-frequency response and amplify the bass more than treble.

seo consultant

Back