KT88 tube design considerations

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, Everyone,

I had a friend recently mention to me that I should consider the KT88 tube with some of my single ended amp builds with fixed cathode bias. Doing some quick research I found that this would be an interesting choice for the power tube section. One of the things that I haven't decided is the associated output transformer's primary impedance. I have seen designs that use anywhere from 3k5-5k. I am wanting to get 25-35W of power out of a 4 ohm speaker. I realize this value is based on the desired characteristics of the design. I am curious if any one here has used this tube for the above application and has an insight to the transformer primary impedance as well any other surprises encountered which should be taken into account.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
I have quite a bit of experience with 6550 / KT88 SE amps, back when I actually had some money to play with my hi-fi hobby. Myself, I've always used 5K or 5.5K output iron to achieve better linearity at the expense of a bit less power. As you said, the reflected Z you choose will depend on the design considerations. Strapped triode, ultralinear or pentode configuration? Highest linearity, maximum power or somewhere between? Loop NFB or not?

About the most you're gonna get into the load with a single KT88 and decently low THD is about 18 watts at onset of clipping, with a 3.5K reflected load, 400V p-k, 250V on the screen, and about 125mA max Ik with grid bias set around -16V, and several dB of loop NFB. You'll need a driver that can swing the 32V p-p with low distortion, along with several mA of drive current and low output Z, or you'll perhaps run into some grid blocking distortion.

To get 30+ watts into the load, you'll need to parallel two KT88s, which of course doubles the input capacitance along with power supply ampacity and ripple filtration requirements. Using cathode bias, you'd possibly need three tubes in parallel - yikes!

IMHO, if you require a balance of power and good linearity in a SE KT88 amp, ultralinear is the way to go. The KT88 was designed for UL operation, and loses proportionately less power when configured in UL than pretty much all other common audio beam power tetrodes (except maybe the 6550). Also, if you're using highly efficient speakers with tight, high-flux voice coil gaps and a lightweight cone, you'll get tight, fast, hard-hitting bass without resorting to loop NFB. But, zero NFB with a UL-configured KT88 does tend to sound a bit on the bright and aggressive side.

But, by far the tastiest recipes I've experimented with involve a 6922 or 5842 DC-coupled to a cathode biased, strapped-triode KT88, without loop NFB. The caveat is that you'll only get about 6 watts into the load, but it's an amazing 6 watts.

Last edited:
The initial design is strapped triode mode to make the output transformer design simpler. Negative feedback will be switched in/out.

This is for a guitar amplifier so the THD levels do not need to be as low as when dealing with HiFi. I failed to mention that in the opening post.

Thanks!

Paul

Triode output is often disappointing tonally for guitar, unless it's meant to be a clean jazz amp. But if you do want to go ahead with that, 2k to 3k would be typical. 5k sound ridiculously high for a SE KT88.

Last edited:
For HiFi SE triode is worth considering IF you first pick a speaker with at least 90dB/1m/1W, preferably 95dB+.
As a guitar amp I have trouble understanding any benefit from a SE triode amp, as it not a sound reproducer, but a sound effect generator.
Power tube data sheets typically have SE configuration numbers.
Even the high end big bucks audio snobs are embracing class D amps, which with suitable signal processing could produce any number of sound effects,
with lower cost, mass, reliability and complication. I'm not against wild goose one-off projects, done a few of those, but in the long run it gets tiresome.
The best tube for SE triode, without reservation, is the W-E 300B, some chinese copies may even be OK.
Durability as a "road" amp? Don't know.

For a guitar amp single ended will give you more even order dist, compared to P-P. I personally don’t care for SE output, but thats just me.

For a guitar amp single ended will give you more even order dist, compared to P-P. I personally don’t care for SE output, but thats just me.
Yes, a P-P transformer will suppress even order harmonics, leaving nasty 3rd, 5th, 7th etc. Not a problem if extremely low, but important for a weak amp. A high power class AB P-P will spend most of its time in the class A region, under "normal" listening levels with decent speakers.

Hello Paul - @Potato Cakes and greetings from Greece.

“Direct from the lion’s mouth” as M – O – Valve Co. Inc – Genalec suggest, you can have a Push-Pull, Class AB, Cathode Bias, Ultra-linear Connection (40% Tapping Points) with 375 Volts Va, g2(b), RL (a-a) 5KΩ, Rk (Cathode Bias Resistors) 2 * 400Ω at 30 Watt…

In the same way you can have a Push-Pull, Class AB, Cathode Bias, Triode Connection with 485 Volts Va, g2(b), RL (a-a) 4KΩ, Rk (Cathode Bias Resistors) 2 * 525Ω at 30 Watt…

I hope these infos will helps you to your task, as there aren't any infos from the M – O – Valve Co. Inc – Genalec for a S. Ended Topology, Class A1 Cathode Resistor Amplifier at 30 watt...

Last edited:
Back