La2a Dual 2HE Case Design and Front-Panel discussion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i belief in what you say and stop thinking about it. Your right, PM should be put better in a big sized case.
Thanks for freshing my mind  :)

got the knobs for the dual la2a today and printed out the panel-layout to the paper. It will look really cool with those knobs  ;D

Source for the la2a Daka-Ware knobs with brass insert:
https://www.don-audio.com/LA-2A-UREI-Bakelite-Knob

I am working on a 2 unit LA-2A frontplate design myself and will post the schaeffer file here when it is done next week.

I opted for the "dual LA-3A look" in black for this one, with the standard meters and knobs from hairball.

one question: 2 units will be tight for the T4B, will I have to use the smaller height units from UREI or can standard Kenetek or Drip T4B be made to fit inside the case standing up?

thanks, Marten

Hi Marten,

i actually finished my design today and sent it to Frank. I fixed some problems yesterday when i tested the panel with paperboard and paper.
I recommend to do so!  :)

The Drip T4B will fit in a 2HE case and 5mm pcb stands. You´ll have 1-2mm space to the top then. I measured this today with sweat on my brow but everything fits well. I am curious for your fp.

I decided to go for silkscreening and will let made 10 fps, so everyone who wants one can contact me.

I'm onboard for one, do you have an updated cost of panel plus case?
I'm not fussy about the compress/limit switch.

jensenmann said:
I´m stillvery interested in the frontpanel because it looks seriously nice. Is it predrilled to mount on your case or is this optional?

I will let the panel made without case holes that you can use it on any steel cases too  ;)

Case is still pending, i am waiting for a quote with steel top and optional steel bottom plate you can slip in.
The Alu design costs 82EUR. The quality and stability is very good. I am alsmost happy with it.
I will take photos as soon i have time to rack the pcb.

Welcome Niketouille,

the VU Meter size is 80,00mm x 37,00mm

you can find VU Meters for the Dual LA-2A here:
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=40

http://hairballaudio.com/docs/meters/8037.pdf

The Bypass won´t be drilled so that you can decide to put two switches side by side for left-right or one switch for both.

I gonna start an interests list:

[moved to site "1"]

Hi jensenmann,

thanks for your feedback. One panel goes to you :)
Frank is going to send me a drilled panel next week that i can test it twice in live with switching knobs and case.

I will take pics then.

Silkscreening will be done overnext week so the panels are ready in two weeks :).

Hi.
I´m also interested in a front panel and also in a box if you manage to get that done.
Kindly,
Andy

thestudio said:
I'm interested but would like see pictures of finished front panel and case......

I have to make the hole sizes and positions perfect.
I did not mind the huge bottomsite of the VU-Meter that is very tight to the
switching- knob below the right corner of the VU-Meter. I need to shift of both holes 1-2 mm. Of course i could cut the unnecessary bottom corner of the VU-Meter but i will try to fix it in the panel.

Here are some pics of my proto- front panel and case for now. The silkscreen print on the panel is a photomontage to have an idea what it will look like.

Some questions:

1) Are you locked on designed front position of power switch?
2) Any plan for 3U?
3) Would you sell w/o front panel?
4) Thickness of case (not front panel)
;D

Hi thestudio,
the case bottom and backplate is 2mm thick  :)
both siteplates are 12,5mm  :)
the top plate is 1mm. More like a fly-proofing but i like it.
I requested a steel plate for the top but the guy is in holliday till 27.
I will go for the alu top myself but try to get this steel top as option for others too, if necessary.

I am not locked with designed positions yet. The power switch looks cool there and is most far away from sensible parts.

By the way the fp is 4mm thick! It looks very tasty. I got the switching knobs today and everything fits well.
one knob needs to be shift 2mm that it does not hit the meter.

the bottom plate is a trough that is screwed to the site plates on sliders.
The bottom-plate has a front lip that need to be cut in at the toggle-knob positions.
I decided not to put everything higher cause it looks perfect this way.

Thickness is good on bottom, sides and back plate but is the back plate flat or does it have flanges? I also like the grated aluminum top but still have an opinion on the FP. The lettering for pots and switches seems to low on the panel and what if I have different meters and switches???  I'm interested in two....... there's no chance on some 3U??

What's cost? Time?

the back plate has two lips were the bottom and top plate is screwed to. Take a look on picture 4.

Those pics are just a photomontage from the vector files and a prototyp panel. If it comes to silkscreen it will look more fat, like one of the la-2a.
I will put in the pics then.

For now i design this 2HE / 2RU panel for my personal needs and everyone who likes can get one of ten panels i go to order in a few days.
If you need a 3HE design you can contact me. Give me measuries of your parts and your needs. But this la-2a is very expensive if you go for one panel.
Front-Panel service calced around 180EUR for engraving one la-2a 2HE panel with those cuts, many lines. Silkscreening does not make sense for only one panel too.
I can ask Frank from NRG located here in Germany for a individual panel price.

I am designing this 2RU panel since some month ago and am in prototyp phase.
Doing last minor modifications this weekend and let the panel produce. But for my personal taste I see no pros going for a 3RU design if everything does fit well in 2RU.
I am going to use it for mastering and want to save space for other huge gear.

do you need a 3u case for a mono la-2a? Case depth 22cm is ok?

And 2 x 2U Case + 2 x FP or no Frontpanels at all / only cases?

best
"who"

I'm trying to finish (2) D-La2a and (1) La2a with original transformers which are large and not sure if a 2U will work in terms of internal size? I would like to get closer in depth with the La2a and 22cm a little deep?

hi thestudio,

i am in contact with the case guy. Usually if you really want to get a similar look for your 3HE la2a you need those module racks with two lips on the outer sites + possibility to dip the 3mm thick panel into the chassi without having overlaps.
In german it is called Baugruppenträger  ;) And they are really cost intensive. What i´ve found on the marked is >180EUR only for one 3HE module chassi (HE=RU=U). Then you need to measure how wide the panel needs to be to fit between those lips. You also may need drill and cutting skills for mounting the frontpanel onto a prefixed hinge for archiving the original look. The height of the panel must be correct then too to fit together with the hinge on the bottom. That´s it. So for a 3HE design that is as good looking as one of those original la-2a you can calc 300-400EUR + allot of time/money (and nerves) if something does not fit for the first try as suggested  :-\ If i find one of those Baugruppenträger cheap on ebay i will get one 3HE la-2a look running for fun.

Latest posts

Back