LA3A 500 BUILD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
peter purpose said:
kato said:
I think I owe some of you some new trimpots.  :p

You might owe someone a new front panel.

Ha! I didn't notice you designed holes for the trimmers all the way through to the front panel til the other day. I was only suggesting drilling new holes in the sled. I seriously doubt anybody drilled a new hole in their front panel. Right folks?

sonic02 said:
hey Kato, do we have to substitute the RV23 ad RV31 (from the supplied kit) with bourns? do you have a link to which ones?

Hey Stu. I just placed a new Mouser order. I'll send 'em to you. (and the whole lot of ya.) Sorry they'll take for freakin ever to get to Australia...

The correct part is in Pete's revised parts list (not the original if you downloaded it) if you want to source them locally to get them quicker. Let me know if you do. Otherwise, I'll mail this week.

I have my LA3A pair up and running! I can report that they sound damn good. Thanks Peter. I need to get LED's (since I wired them backwards and they broke when I pulled them, and I should be ready to send some music thru them. Looks like my rack needs a couple of EQN's next!

Attachments

• La3a.jpg
    La3a.jpg
    661.2 KB · Views: 270
Nice.....

duantro said:
Looks like my rack needs a couple of EQN's next!

And a pair of EQAs....
nueqa.jpg

peter purpose said:
Nice.....

duantro said:
Looks like my rack needs a couple of EQN's next!

And a pair of EQAs....

Damn, I have not seen this one! It looks pretty cool though. I'll have to do some research to see what the guts are. Is this based on the Sontec?

Not sontec. This one has a pure api path... 2622-2520-2623, but could be just about anything.
Think of it as a 553 on steroids.
I'll start a new thread when ready.

just out of curiosity, how if everyone testing units? Are you guys temporarily hooking up the power rails to a separate power supply? I didn't think about testing until a couple of days ago, when it dawned on me that it would be hard to do so in the rack
Ian

Oh i do, just wondering if people had come up with some kind of jig or something to test it in the 500 series configuration

thanks Kato. Definitely need to grab those. I love the 500 format, but makes testing pretty challenging

imo said:
thanks Kato. Definitely need to grab those. I love the 500 format, but makes testing pretty challenging

Igor is your friend. Have a look at

http://market.diyrecordingequipment.com/rackit-pcbconnectors-kit-51x500-gtrack-test-modules,name,100250,auction_id,auction_details

A small amount of dosh will get you one. You know it makes sense.

Frank B.

Igor is my friend. I agree.
Just trying to wait until he releases the TG1-500 series!
-I am wrapping up my LA3a build. sounds really great. I got the meter that came with Peter's kit. I found i needed around 54k for R13 to zero out the meter, which gets me there, but RV36 seems to have very little impact regardless of what resistor i have there. I see a bit of movement as i trim the pot but it is very limited.
Also curious how "permanently" people are mounting the T4b. I have the panels pretty close to the LDrs, but on a real T4b they are flush up against them, whereas i still have a bit of an angle. I think it is affecting the level of compression.
Haven't checked tracking yet, but the unit sounds great, has a ton of gain, and seems to hold together better than my vintage unit, which gets pretty nasty when you push it too hard
ian

OK, Finally got a pair built and fired up  (no smoke).
Did a search for LAZ La3a Calibration, found and
read this entire Post 3x. Got bits and pieces of what certain trimmers do.
BUT, is there a real calibration procedure posted that I can follow?

Can't wait to hear and compare these to the two vintage ones in the studio.

Latest posts

Back