Langevin AM-16 DIY?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gus your a mind reader. I was just thinking about the dialetric thing. Did you ever read how old Fender turret boards become conductive over time?

Miko, your missing a few. Let me guess, AM 15 on it's way to Brazil?

Yes I read about the fiber boards holding water and having the dirt on the surface become conductive. I have not heard this but it sounds like it could be true. Maybe NewYork Dave knows?

I was thinking maybe your build will sound "glassy" being made from fiberglass.

What is the old board made of?

I just got my AM15 in the mail today... Going to rip the trafos out!

amp_mine.jpg

I didn't take the time to look at all the transistors that thing had. There has to be some parts that can be used over again.

Whats the going price of these things? Miko, I'm not talking about your ridiculous crime of a deal....just ebay, vintage shops and such...

Well, I sold one on ebay for $275. Soni*c Circu*s is selling them for $300. I haven't really played with mine yet. I just ordered some bulk cable to wire them up. I'm excited. :green:

[quote author="PRR"]If it is the monster I am thinking of: the magic is in the iron, which is very custom stuff. For this amp: if you have the right iron, the transistors don't matter. If you don't have the right iron, it is just a beast.[/quote]

kubi DIYed it with original input iron but different output iron. There was quite a bunch of tweaking necessary to get it up and running. I assume that PRR was right :green:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=26304.0

there was a construction thread for the copies, but it must have been removed or gone missing.  i can't find any trace of it.  it used a code name.  I think it may have been a single circuit board for four channels.  DIY still strikes me as impractical, given the cost of real AM-16's is not terribly much higher. 

emrr said:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=26304.0

there was a construction thread for the copies, but it must have been removed or gone missing.  i can't find any trace of it.  it used a code name.  I think it may have been a single circuit board for four channels.  DIY still strikes me as impractical, given the cost of real AM-16's is not terribly much higher. 

Thanks,
I searched a lot on the forum and read all the threads couldn't reach any conclusion.
I've seen a DIYed one last year, but lost contact with the owner.Would like to ask him how he did it.He used to do all the Gyraf projects.

maybe you are right about the costs of making one.
Do you know how much do they go normally in second hand?

The new search function is not as good as the old, or I haven't figured out the nuances. 

I think there's a post from Soundguy with a direct comparison commentary on original versus repro. 

Code name contained 'morning', as in 'AM'.  Don't remember the rest.  Search of 'morning' turns up nearly nothing.  P*R*O*B*A*B*LY was full of symbols too. 

You could find originals in the $200-300 range not too long ago.  I got a pair in extremely nice condition, with mounting trays, tested/working/guaranteed for $500. 

Latest posts

Back