Lexicon PCM-60 - Looking for Service Manual or repair tips

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashcanman

I picked up a Lexicon PCM-60 for next to nothing as it was said to have some problems. Opening it up I noticed it was missing the DA convertor IC, which was a slight problem. I found some nice ones on ebay for a few hundred dollars but decided against getting one of those and instead bought one from China for $20, which may be contributing to my problems.
Looking at the datasheet(http://www.datasheetarchive.com/dlmain/Datasheets-8/DSA-156635.pdf) for the PCM53JG-I it seemed to say the only difference between the PCM53JG-I and the PCM53JP-I is that the JG-I is ceramic and the JP-I is plastic. No big deal I thought, and the unit actually does function now with the new IC but the reverb sounds extremely distorted and fuzzy.
I can't find much info on the unit online and at this point  would probably pay for a manual if I had to. Could I have bought a crappy IC from China that is not converting properly? Are there any standard test procedures I can run through, is there a hard reset option?
I made a recording of some piano being run through the unit. This is entirely signal as it passes through the unit, with the mix level at 0 to start and then turned up and flicking through the settings. This website made it into a mono file and it might have downgraded the quality but it gives you the general idea.
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Kdy8VN3lSC

Thanks, though there is no service manual there and I already have the schematic. I did get the PCM70 service manual and they are supposedly pretty similar so I'll see how I go with that.

Hi
I've the same problem with my PCM 60
I've swapped all socket IC whit working one but the sound is distorted...
With mix to 0 the sound is clean...

ilfungo said:
Hi
I've the same problem with my PCM 60
I've swapped all socket IC whit working one but the sound is distorted...
With mix to 0 the sound is clean...

It's everything alright with the PSU?
Please check all the output voltages from the PSU

I had a similar problem with an yamaha SPX-90 unit,
also changed one of the converters Chips, but then the problem was in one of the PSU rails that was not providing adequate voltage.

So I guess that would be the first thing to check.

Next would be using an audio signal probe, and probing following the schematic

or probing using a signal generator and osciloscope

I always prefer to input some music and using an audio probe to listen to the circuit,
but use whatever works for you

Latest posts

Back