Lexicon PCM 70 repair

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rennywilson

I know this is not the first thread regarding these units, but hey! C'est la vie.

So, my PCM 70 started crapping out a few weeks ago - initially it wouldn't work for the first 20 mins, then it would start working again, and then not etc. By work, I mean that it would not produce a Wet sound at all, then would, and then wouldn't again.

So, I figured the simplest solution would be a resoldering of all the joints. VOILA, it brought back the reverb sound (no longer did it cut out/ disappear) but alas, it was now shrouded with a wall of white noise (note that some settings such as "major chord" self oscillate and don't produce any sound at all).

A recap was at hand, I did that, plus the 3 IC's on the heatsink in the power section - no improvement.

I went as far as to bake the high speed processor IC's in the oven - no improvement. I reseated the removable chips in the writeable control storage section as well - no improvement (it garbled the text but one hard reset fixed that).

Following through the steps in the service manual, (I think) it is either the AD/DA section, or the High Speed Processor section that's causing me grief, but I don't really know where to go from here, do i just buy a schwack of new chips for these entire sections and hope for the best?

I'm a rather novice tech, mostly used to more crude repairs (guitar amps, tape machines etc) but i feel like their is hope, and I'm up for the challenge.

Cant understand why you would bake chips in an oven, but thats a very bad thing to do. Electronics hates heat!
I think you are out of your depth, maybe take it to a pro? A common problem with all these old units is the Dram chips. Have you checked those or replaced them?

Latest posts

Back