"Linksdrall" effect

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abbey road d enfer

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
Collateral to the MS placement subject, I came upon this article Calculation of the direction of phantom sources by interchannel level difference and time difference stereophony stereo time of arrival - localization curves - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin, which mentions the "Linksdrall" effect (left-hand twist). It pertains to describe how sound appears to come louder from left than right when a stereo system is perfectly balanced. At least, it's what I believe it describes, since all links seem to be lost.
Does anyone have documents pertaining to this subject?
It seems to be a subject discussed in the "Tonmeister" cursus.
I know it's more generic than simply microphones, but since we don't have (yet) a Psychoacoustics section, I post here, hoping it finds interest.

Interesting subject !!!

I suspect it's the result of our asymmetric brain, like hands or eyes, our ears are too ?
You can easy test this by looking at which side someone handle a phone to the ear, right or left.
Or if you whisper to someone, he/she will turn the head to offer one ear more than other.
We have one more analytical than the other, dedicated to understand the voice (and not hear better ! )
I can affirm that I have more difficulties to understand a speech from my left than from my right ! no mater the sound level or freq response.
Probably this is more pronounced in busy environment, or intensive focus of the brain involved when you want to listen something specific (could be music).

No directly related to the topic, buy interesting psychoacoustic effect, the bias of the eyesight.
The sound/musical perception of a live band drastically change when you close your eyes, when you don't see what musician are doing on their instrument.
That's one of the main reason I'm still attached to mix on console, and I took care to put DAW screen on the side of my control room, don't care the off axis position for editing, but when mixing, the screen don't catch my eyes unconsciously

Interesting subject !!!

I suspect it's the result of our asymmetric brain, like hands or eyes, our ears are too ?
Probably. However are left-handed people subject to "Rechtsdrall"? IDK...
In one of several red herrings I followed I saw someone left-handed mentioning he preferred listening to records with Left & Right reversed.
Someone else mentioned that mixes were intended for listening in the car, so maybe he advocated mixes for Americans and most Europeans, and mixes for UK, Australia, Wales, Scotland... Probably tongue-in-cheek, which I couldn't verify. :)

AES E-Library » The Recording Angle - Based on Localisation Curves

I wouldn't pay $33 to read this.. I recall lots of psychoacoustics work published in the AES back last century

JR

• AES E-LIBRARY

The Recording Angle - Based on Localisation Curves​

Document Thumbnail

The useful pick-up sector of a stereophonic microphone is indicated by the recording angle. It is based on phantom source shift data due to resulting inter-channel level and/or time differences. However, in related literature the recording angles of known microphones such as XY, Blumlein, AB, ORTF, OCT, etc. are differing because they are determined from different interpretations of these data. It is proposed to rest on the so-called localisation curve, which describes the directional translation of sound sources within the loudspeaker basis and corresponds with directional balancing results in practical recording situations. The newly defined "Recording Angle_75%" is proposed to be the suitable key value in the Tonmeisters' practice.
Authors: Wittek, Helmut; Theile, Günther
Affiliation: Institut für Rundfunktechnik, München, Germany
AES Convention: 112 (April 2002) Paper Number: 5568
Publication Date: April 1, 2002 Import into BibTeX
Subject: Surround Sound Recording
Permalink: AES E-Library » The Recording Angle - Based on Localisation Curves

In one of several red herrings I followed I saw someone left-handed mentioning he preferred listening to records with Left & Right reversed.
Someone else mentioned that mixes were intended for listening in the car, so maybe he advocated mixes for Americans and most Europeans, and mixes for UK, Australia, Wales, Scotland... Probably tongue-in-cheek, which I couldn't verify. :)
Idk if it's just my hearing, but when i use single headphone i tend to use left ear, no explanation why, i seem to hear equally good (or bad) on both ears. It just feels better. I'm right handed.

The "recording angle" is one thing, which seems clearly established, but the "Linksdrall" notion seems to imply that a two-speaker system playing identical signals is perceived as coming from a point slightly left of the meridian plane, for auditors located at the third summit of the equilateral triangle. Some link hint at physiological causes, others to environmental/acquired leanings. It seems it has not much permeated outside the Tonmeister community.

That's what I think ? but without any scientific publication about that (I don't search...) it's more a guess.
The protocol should not be that difficult... random pples, left or right hearing bias, left or right handed, statistic correlation...or not.

I hope that with all pples around the forum we have a otolaryngologist that can chime in ? and give us clue for publications to look at in this specific topic ?

Perhaps some sort of internal Haas effect?
Not sure ? haas imply time delay. In a perfect triangle listening setup it should not play.
In the mean time, I often use L/R delay to wild a mono source in mix.
Usually delay at R, reading direction L to R, and be careful with comb...
I always push a little the level on the delayed source to feel the whole stereo well balanced, ant this sill true if I flip L/R, so it's not a monitor or hearing unbalance (maybe I should check again).
So hass may be an indirect consequence of this phenomena ?

Idk if it's just my hearing, but when i use single headphone i tend to use left ear, no explanation why, i seem to hear equally good (or bad) on both ears. It just feels better. I'm right handed.
It seems it's a similar constatation that has resulted in the studies that gave birth to the concept of "Linksdrall".
It seems to be supported by several studies, which unfortunately are unavailable, but the abstracts tend to confirm the reality of the phenomenon, apparently due to physiological asymmetry..

Last edited:
Back