LM3885

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for information on a current replacement for the now obsolete LM3885 chip amp, I see the LM3886 is still available but it is much more power output than necessary, is there a good replacement ic closer to the output of the older 3885, I am only looking for a very low distortion chip to use at 4 ohms working at about 15 watts output, 30 watts max peak output. Do I just go with the 3886 and limit the output, it seems it would be overkill to operate a dome tweeter only in a two way active system? Thanks for any advice

How and why would you "limit the output"?

Also, if you'll look at figure 37 on page 14 of the LM3886 datasheet, you'll see a nice little graph of (maximum) power output versus supply voltage.

Power amplifiers don't "create" output power, nor do they "push" it into whatever load they're connected.

Given a certain power supply voltage, any two amplifiers can and will put out roughly the same power into the same load (assuming neither runs into any current-limiting situations, or doesn't burn itself up).

If your LM3885 is powered with, say, +/-15V, the LM3886 will work at least just as well. That being said, you've mentioned nothing about the usage scenario, so.....

Latest posts

Back