Looking for Altec attenuators

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I've ever seen a 100K ladder. Are you sure it's not a potentiometer type?

The term "ladder" is often misused to describe what is in fact a stepped potentiometer. A real ladder attenuator looks (in schematic form) like a ladder turned on its side, and has a constant input and output impedance. It has a minimum loss of 6dB when used between equal impedances. Ladders are usually available in 150/150, 150/300, 600/600 and like configurations. Like I said, I don't think I've ever seen a 100K ladder.

The Altec name lives on, but only as a manufacturer of consumer crap (e.g., computer speakers).

I'm using these now for a mic pre i'm building. They are NOS for military equiptment.

These range from 33K to 100K.

Attenuator.jpg

[quote author="mkruger"]
Attenuator.jpg
[/quote]
I saw something looking a lot like that one on eBay recently. These attenuators don't have a fixed output impedance though.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

[quote author="fazeka"]Maybe I'm dumb, but couldn't you just wire up a rotary switch with the appropriate resistors?[/quote]
Yes, and you can buy kits for that from Triode Electronics. They are not very expensive, but they are BIG.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

I saw something looking a lot like that one on eBay recently.

They are from eBay.

These attenuators don't have a fixed output impedance though.

that's right, as I mentioned above it's 33K to 100K.

How will this effect my signal? A potentiometer inherently has a variable impedance... but that's the job of the resistor network in a stepped ladder attenuator... so what will happen when you "mix" a stepped attenuator with a pot? Will the taper just be greater than calculated/expected?

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]I don't think I've ever seen a 100K ladder. Are you sure it's not a potentiometer type?
[/quote]

You are right, it is a pot... could you read my last post and advise

You can get pretty much anything from Goldpoint, they often seem to have sales on now and then too. Just buy the kit form and solder the resistors in yourself to save bucks.

http://www.goldpt.com/

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]The Altec name lives on, but only as a manufacturer of consumer crap (e.g., computer speakers).[/quote]

Actually, Altec Lancing's Pro line is back, kinda, I didn't see them at AES though. But they have a web page http://www.altecpro.com/. I still don't understand how Altec went from the the top name in audio to nothing in a few years? VOTT was in practically every theater in the world.

Hey, it's good to see them "back" (kinda). I hope they do well.

I remember now that I had heard something about the A7 being back in production, but I forgot about this supposedly revived Altec pro division until you mentioned it.

http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/a7.asp

[quote author="mkruger"]that's right, as I mentioned above it's 33K to 100K.

How will this effect my signal? A potentiometer inherently has a variable impedance...[/quote]
The attenuator works exactly like a pot. The input impedance is fixed (if the output is unloaded), and the output impedance varies.

If you want a fixed input impedance use a buffer stage before the pot/attenuator or use one of the relay attenuators discussed recently.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

> something about the A7 being back in production

GAG!

$4,000 for a non-authentic A-7??????

200 Watts??? 22,000Hz?????

How much am I bid for some Genuine 288 drivers without the fruity "Tangerine Plug"?

I think I even have a 515 or two in the back of the dungeon.

A7s were wretched enough in the 1970s; why re-make them?

Just thinking about this travesty makes me want to ice my ears.....

Latest posts

Back