Looking for nice Vocal Condeser any advice........

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

looking a mic for just vocals I have a RB500 Ribbon that I like looking for another flavour maybe a condensor
Cant really afford Top Neuman... are the cheaper neumans good TLM103 ??? or TLM 193
How about the Shures ????? £500/600 mark
I like what I read about the
Audio technica AT4047 SV Any thoughts on this ??? or other Audio Techs
Im tempted with modding China mics sometimes but I think ive ruled this out now.

Any views would be great thankyou...............Gary O.

I just finished up two g7 mics with dale's capsules and ioaudio's bodies.. I will post pics soon and maybe some audio samples. I *highly* recommend the g7. I am considering selling off many of my mics and replacing them with a bit of diy. I may do another g7 soon with a CK12 capsule from AKG.

Cheers

TLM 103...

Well they're not crap, but they definately aren't the same as the U47 ure even the U87 in terms of strength of sound, or following amongst users.

We have some here, and I own a U67 at home, I think that you can DIY a better mic cheaper than the TLM103, if you have the time to invest. Resale value may be lower because of brand recognition, but are you going to sell it or use it?

If someone made a nice M7 capsule for DIY, I'd be ALL over making some more mics.

Other than that, -and very affordable and useable alternatives these are indeed- Try buying something like the MXL 2001 -or perhaps better yet the 2003 (which uses the 797 Audio 3-micron capsule) and doing the Royer mod. -VERY nice results, by all accounts.

Keith

I think in that price range I'd maybe take a look at what Violet have to offer. I remember hearing many people recommending the Black Knight which was their bottom of the range model.

But I seem tend to go second hand these days to get the best for my money.

jho-audio

What microphones are you comparing the g7 to?

gary o

Male or female vocals? You are asking a very hard question. Sub $1,000 USA new I don't know what I would buy and leave stock.

You realy need to try a few and don't believe what you read on the web IMO.

New tlm103 as posted before, a 414 of some type

Used might be more value but you have the BIG problem of what shape the capsule is in and possable circuit problems.

As posted by Keith A Royer mxl2001 mod built with the speced parts is not a bad microphone.

Since this IS a DIY site, I would sugget the Apex 460. The mic is only $199, and there are a couple of mods floating around that make this mic sound wonderful!

I don't know about the apex 460 sounding wonderful with a couple mods. Better maybe.

To mod a 460 you need a good transformer > $125 usa and capsule a few hundred not cheap. then you got to rework the circuit and power supply and get a good tube.

so 200 for the microphone + parts + capsule + labor

I question some of the mods on the web.

Thanks for thoughts so far guys keep em comin Gus sorry mike is for my male vocals only dont need multi pattern bells and whistles, I can and enjoy DIYing stuff but have read some not so good experiences with the DIY circuits, tho good reports on the Royer its hard for me to get to hear any mics without buying one sadly, im thinking that the sound starts at the capsule so I want to find a mic with a good capsule maybe I can mod or rebiuld circuit later, thats why I thought of the cheaper neumans, thought with those I should get at least a good capsule, sadly I never had the chance to use a neuman I sometimes wonder are they that good or are people afraid to dislike them as they so well respected in the industry eg SM58s personally on my voice I f****** hate the things thats just for my voice, I have a RB500 Ribbon that I like the sound of a Beta 87 for a stage, an old AKG C28A/ CK1 capsule a Dead AKG Solid Tube I have another stage condenser Audio Technica AE3300 that has a AT4033 capsule in it tho I spose its kinda retuned for hand held use, other than the Ribbon none set me alight for recording, just biult a UA610 mic pre that makes them all sound a bit better. IM gonna try and get to london this week couple stores there that let you demo should be fun keep ideas coming in thanks a million.

Gary O.

Interesting Gus, I've done a few of the mods that you've mentioned here and on other forums-cathode follower removal and power supply mod. Which ones in particular were you referring?

Craig

Gary O
I would check a tlm103, 414s, A black Knight, A lower priced brauner if you can find one in your price range. I have a 103 and VM1
Used neumanns and gefells

craig

I have read about apex 460/ nady1150 mods at other sites. Now I don't want post because I don't want give away free design help.

With the stock capsule the basic simple upgrades give you a better microphone. I worked with someone and installed a nice circuit with the stock transformer and capsule in a nady 1150. I was trying to do a low cost mod using the stock transformer and capsule and tuning the circuit to them. It was better but I like my stock tlm103 better.

Gus and I have worked over my two 460's pretty well. I don't think either of us could remember exactly what we did and in what order (but Gus might). It was a couple of rip/solder/listen type sessions. I think we got them as far as we are going to get them with the stock capsule and xformer. They are indeed better, but they still aren't in the same class as my (still affordable) 4033's or 414's. Probably not better than my SP C3. You can't really get away from the capsule's signature IMHO. Gus would say the same about the transformer I think.

-Chris

I know this isn't a sexy answer but for male vocals it's hard to beat a nice SM7. A boat load of fantastic sounding vocals have been cut with that mic. I'd rather have a great dynamic than an entry level condenser mic. Run that SM7 into a nice pre followed by an LA2A and you'll love it.

Steve

[quote author="jho-audio"]I just finished up two g7 mics with dale's capsules and ioaudio's bodies.. I will post pics soon and maybe some audio samples. I *highly* recommend the g7. I am considering selling off many of my mics and replacing them with a bit of diy. I may do another g7 soon with a CK12 capsule from AKG.

Cheers[/quote]

I'm about to build just that!
What Transformer did you Use?
Plase please post audiosamples! I'm sooo curious!
High Rez pics would be soo welcome for the build to be easier :razz: !!!

Is the capsule good :grin: ?

[quote author="guitarmaker"]I know this isn't a sexy answer but for male vocals it's hard to beat a nice SM7. A boat load of fantastic sounding vocals have been cut with that mic. I'd rather have a great dynamic than an entry level condenser mic. Run that SM7 into a nice pre followed by an LA2A and you'll love it.

Steve[/quote]

I agree !

I agree too but only in case it's a (heavy) rocksinger.
Less powerful vocals are nicer with 58's if not going for any condenser/valve/... type.

[quote author="Rob Flinn"][quote author="guitarmaker"]I know this isn't a sexy answer but for male vocals it's hard to beat a nice SM7. A boat load of fantastic sounding vocals have been cut with that mic. I'd rather have a great dynamic than an entry level condenser mic. Run that SM7 into a nice pre followed by an LA2A and you'll love it.

Steve[/quote]

I agree ![/quote]

me three. a top quality preamp is mandatory though. and it is good on kickdrum too. also, a coles 4038 and a nice EQ can do *amazing* things on lower-register male vocals. for folk/americana type stuff. you could look for a used 47FET.

Latest posts

Back