looking for original 1960s style resistors and WIMA capacitors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB1

Anyone got any old components lying around?! Specifically, I'm after silver, WIMA capacitors with values 6.8µF, 4.7µF, 1µF, 0.47µF; and resistors of various values. Picture attached gives an idea of what they need to look like. Ideally UK-based.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20221011_222016.jpg
    IMG_20221011_222016.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
Anyone got any old components lying around?! Specifically, I'm after silver, WIMA capacitors with values 6.8µF, 4.7µF, 1µF, 0.47µF; and resistors of various values. Picture attached gives an idea of what they need to look like. Ideally UK-based.

Thanks!
I've got some vintage carbon resistors from the 60s. They were from a NOS Heathkit integrated amplifier I found, and I bought all metal film for when I finally get around to building it. I'll post the pics from my phone in my next message.

Last edited:
They don't match the specs either, cause the OP resistors are precision resistors. They have 5 bands.
And I'm curious because obviously the fifth band tells the precision in % and here it's black which means nothing according to the tables...
Brown would be 1%, but the next level aka 0,5% is supposed to be grey...

Axel

Some old military resistors used five bands not to indicate precision but rather to indicate reliability (failure rate in % per 1k hours of service)

I wondered whether that might be the case here, but there’s also no meaning assigned to a black band in that convention

Apparently some resistors had a “temp coefficient” band, and there black *does* have a significance (250ppm)

Nop q. Is there any sound chance from metal to carbon to BeyerSla?
Old condensers sound more soft and gritty. New , clear and straight. But with resistors. Never experience the difference.

I get that original appearance is as important to the OP as original sound.

Different resistors can perform measurably-differently depending on the application. Carbon composition, in addition to being noisier, can have voltage coefficients that are many times higher than a good metal film, which can contribute measurable harmonic distortion in some applications.

Carbon comps also don't age well since their resistance will drift a lot over time. I had a bunch of Allen-Bradley R's accumulated here over the decades, all NOS and never used. Nearly all (ESPECIALLY the higher resistance parts) were far out of spec when measured in recent times. Parts marked with a gold (5%) band were often off value by tens of percentages.

Bri

Carbon comps also don't age well since their resistance will drift a lot over time. I had a bunch of Allen-Bradley R's accumulated here over the decades, all NOS and never used. Nearly all (ESPECIALLY the higher resistance parts) were far out of spec when measured in recent times. Parts marked with a gold (5%) band were often off value by tens of percentages.

Bri
I'm with you on this. Here's a couple of pics of some AB's that needing replacing in a Gates SA38. The 3k3 is nearly 50% out.

Attachments

• cc res 2.jpg
    cc res 2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 4
  • cc res.jpg
    cc res.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2
Back