Looking to build a nice guitar splitter.....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see.
If it's bass, you might not need a splitter, just choose the first logical effects box, after it, everything will be buffered.

They sell splitters at GC, and Fulltone makes a real good one, or at leats he used to.

That's exactly what CJ says...
tried it myself and it works. Stompboxes are often used as buffers.
What shocked me the most was the fact that a splitter from Boss ruined more of my original gtrsound then coming parallel out of another box, or by using stuff like stereo delay or chorus pedals (since they have 2 buffered outputs per pedal)... strange.
I never looked inside as I'm not that much after pedals and such and, as CJ already said too, it all depends so much on the gtr and amp (AND PLAYER!!!) that if something doesn't work when I'm recording, I just go to another option to get what I need (other amp, gtr or player :wink: )

From all the splitters I've tested, the Lucas Deceiver from the engineer of Compass Point Studios (Bahamas) was really the best. Did not try Jakobs design so far... so anyone wanting to send me one for testing will get my feedback updated :green:

[quote author="tony dB"]From all the splitters I've tested, the Lucas Deceiver from the engineer of Compass Point Studios (Bahamas) was really the best.[/quote]
Hmm, you have one ? And a screwdriver & a camera ? :wink: (please do if you can/are allowed)

What I read sounded interesting ( http://members.aol.com/lucaseng/dec.html )
No rocket-science required I guess...
1M load // ...pF, buffering/splitting like for instance in the Jakob-circuit & then probably some PU-emulation like http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm

Also the Strat & Les Paul type of outputs on the Millennia Media TD-1 Recording Channel come to mind. Anyone had a peak in that box ?

Cheers,

Peter

[quote author="Ptownkid"]It's for splitting the signal from a bass (stingray I think) and going to four different pedals.

Then all of that mess goes into his amp, which to my knowledge is an svt[/quote]

Apologies, but the first suggestion that came to mind for that kind of bass was a dead short across its output :twisted:

From the days of Hendrix, all he used was a spare guitar cable ...... plug your guitar into one input of your Plexi, take a second guitar lead plug that into the other parallel input of the same Plexi Channel, plug the other end of that cable into the Fender.

Because the amp input impedances are high, you should not hear any tonal changes.

I do this on my Plexi between the two Channels, i.e. guitar into Ch1, spare cable from the other Channel 1 input and into Channel 2. Now I can use both Volume 1 and Volume 2 to create a new mix that is somewhere between the sound of each of the two channels.

Michael

Sometimes this works , other times there is ground hum and bad interaction between amps ,
Sometimes i have fantasy days where i see how many amps i can hook
up at the same time , fun til its frustrating but makes you listen and
appreciate the things that work .

regards Greg

Doesn't the stingray have active electronics anyway ? that should provide good drive

[quote author="clintrubber"]Apologies, but the first suggestion that came to mind for that kind of bass was a dead short across its output :twisted:[/quote]

Are you crazy? Such a sweet bass

[quote author="Ptownkid"][quote author="clintrubber"]Apologies, but the first suggestion that came to mind for that kind of bass was a dead short across its output :twisted:[/quote]

Are you crazy? Such a sweet bass[/quote]
I know these are considered to be nice, but active basses are just not for me. (Note I didn't even mention the 3+1 :wink: )

But as said, apologies; let's discuss that PU-emulation stuff above :thumb:

Shows what I know, I didn't even know they were active... :oops:

So yeah, I'm going to build Jakobs splitter, but i have a question regarding the few designs that have been tossed around.

What difference does having an xfmr on each channel make over Jakob's chip design?

hello, I think :
pin 4= -12v DC
pin 11= +12v DC
these two voltages provide from the psu.

If this can help you....

The whole schematic makes sense. Basically using a TL074 as a unity buffer to drive the other three opamps.

I just don't follow the PSU schematic. Is the transformer center tapped? I'm not sure how you get a bipolar supply from diodes and capacitors with a single secondary.

Can anyone clarify the PSU?

Christopher Conley

Hello!

Is it possible to use the splitter from gyraf for splitting consumer soundcards to multiple outs? I thought i change the 1M resistor to 10k or 100k to meet the impedance of the soundcard.

Is this working or am i missing something?? I am very new to electronics......so any tips and thoughts are welcome!

I have also seen a shematic for a audio distributionamp in the datasheet for the TL074. It uses some bufferamp in front of the other 3 Opamps.
Do i need this? what is the benfit of this?

Thanks,
Wolfgang

I didn't actually find the splitter on the datasheet to work - perhaps I'm delayed in some way.

What I ended up doing for my guitar splitter - but it would work for an unbalanced splitter like a sound card is this.

I ran the TL074 on a single powersupply (not bipolar) using a voltage divider resistor scheme. 2.2meg splitter with a 2.2meg pulldown to ground on the input. I run the one opamp at unity gain into the non-inverting input and then I ran the output of that into the three opamp inputs (non-inverting) at unity gain.

I put polarized caps on each output like the original schematic. Worked good.

CC

Thanks for your reply!

I breadboarded both shematics and they both work properly!
The one from the datasheet amplifies the signal at the buffer stage, so i will use jacobs version!

Best regards,
Wolfgang

pucho812 said:
hmmm easy enough. Check the various trafnsformer websites for schemo's . MOst companies have one.

here is a jensen splitter that is passive 1 into 2

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as013.pdf

Jesen active 1 into 4

http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as014.pdf

How would a person take either design and make it so that you just have the direct out going to an amp/mixer, but the isolate signal going into a headphone with volume control, but still have the signal from the direct out not lose any of the signal quality of the original input?

Back