Lost

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmp

So had all my DIY docs on a flashdrive - that was in my backpack - that was stolen out of my car on Saturday. Gone.
Years worth, all the schematics I'd saved, my notes on projects, pics.
I'm sure it is in a dumpster by now.
Nothing in there of much value to the thief, but a lot of value to me.
I'm hoping I had duplicates somewhere so maybe I can get  some of it back.

Sorry :-(

No consolation for you, but stories like this are a reminder to back up, back up, back up.

Even if the pen drive hadn't been stolen, they can still just die. I've seen this twice.

I recommend a free dropbox account, and install the app.  I have all of my files like this in there.  Accessible anywhere,  any computer, anytime.  Quite convenient.

A blown pipe from an apartment above my  studio once had the place in ankle high water.  The first thing i noticed was the back up hard drives ironically lying on the floor next to the dead/drowned computer.  There were three nearly finished clients albums on there of which two of the artists still wont speak to me. Note to self; leave back up drive on high shelf at home.

Rocinante said:
A blown pipe from an apartment above my  studio once had the place in ankle high water.  The first thing i noticed was the back up hard drives ironically lying on the floor next to the dead/drowned computer.  There were three nearly finished clients albums on there of which two of the artists still wont speak to me. Note to self; leave back up drive on high shelf at home.

On going projects have to be living in 3 separate drives in different places updated as quick as possible! A teacher never stopped drilling our heads with that, if there aren't 3 copies of an archive, it doesn't exist he said.

I do have my electronic documents on dropbox, much harder to find a solution for multi gigs studio sessions, two external drives are what I have.

JS

Paid terabyte dropbox or some amazon cloud backup solution suddenly isn't too expensive after a severe loss... which reminds me i have to rig up one :)

Back