Low signal relays - higher operating current

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elskardio

Hi Guys,

I have a circuit using 5 x TQ2-12 relays to switch various functions. According to the datasheet, the operating current should be 11.7mA (12V/1028Ω coil resistance). But in my circuit, they all draw 19-20 mA. I'm using an independent 7812 regulator to power the relays. Are those normal operating conditions?

Thanks

Maybe these are fake relays. If the voltage on the coil of the relay is 12V, then the current through it should be about 12mA for TQ2-12.

I've used a bunch of these and don't recall seeing such a discrepancy. Is there something in parallel you are not accounting for? The spec is +/- 10% so something is off.

Where did you buy them from?

After a few measurements I found the problem… I’m using a small led indicator light on each relay. The same led exists in 2 variants, one rated for 10mA and one for 20mA. I received the wrong type hence the extra 8mA of current draw.
An other human mistake 😉

After a few measurements I found the problem… I’m using a small led indicator light on each relay. The same led exists in 2 variants, one rated for 10mA and one for 20mA. I received the wrong type hence the extra 8mA of current draw.
An other human mistake 😉
Really good deal here on relays. Panasonic Electric Works TQ2-12V

Attachments

• 48 Panasonic TQ2-12.jpg
    48 Panasonic TQ2-12.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 12
Back