Making my own binaural tube

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 140016

Heya!~ I'm working on my own binaural tube. I saw how much the 3Dio cost($720 USD equivalent in Japan!) and I knew that I could build it for much cheaper. I have about $60 USD of parts for each microphone pair. I have spent much more than that due to having to buy duplicate parts to build with, but that is how it goes.

2x Primo EM272
2x Neutrik XLR Jacks
2x Human Ears
3D Printed Enclosure - The purple prints are the second revision. It has nearly everything correct except for PCB mounting holes. It is designed to print with minimal support and keep all the mating surfaces smooth.
A bunch of mounting hardware. I can't get 1/4" square nuts in Japan so I will have to fix the enclosure design to use hex nuts instead.

Circuit design credit: Grégoire Lauvin / Locus Sonus - I remade the PCB design with their open source circuit to support two capsules and have mounting holes. I will keep all the resistor and capacitor values the same for now. In the future I would like to update the circuit design with an equalizer circuit to make adjustments.

I just got the PCB and all the discrete components in yesterday and today. I will build it soon!~

PXL_20240112_063259678~2 (1000).jpgPXL_20240119_111817853 (753).jpg
DSC00658.jpgDSC00659.jpgPXL_20240205_031919931 (1000).jpg

Does this board contain the complex EQ required to undo the considerable acoustic distortions caused by pinna diffractions/reflections?

I mentioned in the topic that this PCB does not have an equalizer circuit and that I would like to add one in the future.

I don't believe that I will need it. I just want to add it later. Even the super expensive 3Dio Free Space Pro II at $2,000 is just a power PCB inside.

I mentioned in the topic that this PCB does not have an equalizer circuit and that I would like to add one in the future.

I don't believe that I will need it. I just want to add it later. Even the super expensive 3Dio Free Space Pro II at $2,000 is just a power PCB inside.
And as such, the freq response will only be accurate if in-ear 'phones are used, so that the recorded sound bypasses your own pinna; with over-the-ear phones or loudspeakers, the sound will be getting pinna-fltered twice.

Latest posts

Back