Maplin's Demise

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveP

It looks like Maplin is heading for bankruptcy in the UK.

https://news.sky.com/story/maplin-enters-administration-with-2500-jobs-at-risk-11270699

This does not surprise me, I have used them a few times but their range is very poor.
Their internet search and purchase system never caught up to the likes of Farnell and RS.

I once had a conversation with a staff member pointing out some differences with their system and current practice, she was not interested and got a bit shirty with me.  In business it's adapt or die, looks like they chose the latter.

DaveP

Yes, their range is poor and prices have risen dramatically in recent years with postage on top.

Compare this with, say, RS who have repealed their minimum order requirement and still offer free postage, and you can see how this was, sadly, somewhat inevitable. Even Rapid are more competitive.

Hmmm ,Im not  a massive fan of Maplin ,but having a place local did come in handy many times ,even though the prices were a bit off the wall . My local store never stocked half the stuff that the website showed either .

I guess as the Ireland branches are supplied via the Uk ,my local store will most likely shut now too ,maybe they will have a massive sell off of stock before they shut the door . I do feel a bit sorry for the staff though .

I think Maplin lost its way several years ago. It cut down on the core component stuff and expanded the boys toys side of the business. I think they lost a lot of DIYers as a result. Shame to see them go though.

Cheers

Ian

This makes me sad I'm from Southend,  they were locals! They expanded far too much, selling rebranded cheap crap from china, but with the drop in the pound it's unsustainable

ruffrecords said:
I think Maplin lost its way several years ago. It cut down on the core component stuff and expanded the boys toys side of the business. I think they lost a lot of DIYers as a result. Shame to see them go though.

Cheers

Ian

Yes, exactly this,

I agree with you on that Ian , you only had to look at the prices of equivalent stuff online and realise the writing was on the wall for them a good while back . I think the only hope of survival would be a very much more streamlined operation , maybe a return to the core electronics components side of things,with a better selection off the shelf, . I really hope for all of our sakes this isnt a taste of things to come post brexit . All the big Uk retailers have parallel opperations here  which could suffer.

This sounds just like what happened with Radio Shack here in the States. They started to go downhill fast once they focused on computers and phones.

Spiritworks said:
This sounds just like what happened with Radio Shack here in the States. They started to go downhill fast once they focused on computers and phones.

I was going to post the exact same thing. Radio shack basically became a phone store, competing with franchises directly connected to the companies it sold phones for. Not a great business model.

You are all dead right!

I would bet that Maplin was started by an electronic enthusiast, and ended up being controlled by bean counters.

"Why bother having all that stock of resistors capacitors etc, when we can sell phones and remote controlled toys"?

They used to supply transformers for valve amplifiers for goodness sake!

DaveP

The silly thing is there is a thriving DIY sector based on the likes of the Raspberry PI and the Arduino. Even school kids are making things based on these. They would be more than happy to pop into Maplins and spend some pocket money an a few LEDs  and a shield for their new project. Instead RS and Farnell have corned that market but they don't have retail outlets. I think Maplin missed a trick there. They used to be the hobbyist's go to source for components. RS and Farnell were only for professionals.

Cheers

Ian

That's right, you need a credit card or a monthly account for RS and Farnell, Maplin could have secured the kids pocket money  and published loads of projects on line for them to follow and providing kits etc.

Businesses have to know their market.

DaveP

I remember the days maplin used do valve transformers alright ,one time towards the end of that product  line I managed to pick up a handfull of Dagnall 10 henry 100ma chokes for 10 euros a piece,they've served my very well . I might circle like a vulture up there next week just to see if there's any sign of a clearance sale, a bunch of Eddystone alloy enclosures at a knock down price would be great.

It's always a little disheartening to hear of  places loosing their direction and ultimately on the decline.  While on one hand you can't stay stagnant forever  doing the same parts, things, often times moves in a different direction loose core customers which are so hard to get back.  I hope they get a chance to right the ship.

DaveP said:
That's right, you need a credit card or a monthly account for RS and Farnell,

Businesses have to know their market.

DaveP

That is incorrect.  I have an RS trade counter near me & there is no problem paying with cash but they prefer a debit card.    You can easily buy from them as a consumer now, you don't need to prove yourself to be a business like you did 30 years ago when I first gad an account with them.

I also pay on line with a debit card for Farnell

That is incorrect.  I have an RS trade counter near me & there is no problem paying with cash but they prefer a debit card.
You're right but they don't have that many counters and none in France for me :(
DaveP

Rob Flinn said:
That is incorrect.  I have an RS trade counter near me

Bloody hell! There's an RS trade counter at Gatwick! That I didn't know

My local Maplin is about half a mile away. It's been very useful on occasion but, as others have pointed out, the company is in an obvious death spiral

I still miss Tandy and their wonderful PZM mics

Nick Froome

The problem with RS is even they have a reduced range of electroniic parts now.  I was looking for some BC441 & BC461 which 2 years ago they had, but are probably now no longer manufactured....

Another thing to be wary of with RS is  prices on things like resistors can vary wildly.  For example if you look at different ohmage resistors from the same range, from the same company some can vary in price VERY dramatically.  I'm talking about low watt standard verions that you would normally be using.  I complained to their CS department, but somehow they managed to justify the difference in price.  Well to themselves at least ....    See below for examples.  Maybe you consider the 3.3ohm to be an obscure value but the 4.7ohm version is not far off the same price

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-fixed-resistors/0148578/

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-fixed-resistors/0148679/

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/through-hole-fixed-resistors/0150688/

Farnell have some strange pricing practices too. The really odd thing is they also own CPC based in Preston. You can often but=y identical parts from CPC much cheaper than at Farnell. CPC's range is a lot smaller than Farnell's but I find it worth checking CPC before ordering from Farnell.

What really makes me chuckle is if you select a data sheet on the CPC site, the one from Farnell pops up.

Cheers

Ian