MC transformers - what are they good for?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOON

I've come across some Jorgen Schou transformers for moving coil phono outputs but they're an unusual impedance set, 1.5R to 600R. The HiFi nuts love the J-S transformers but this ratio is not one of the preferred ones, it's too low on both input and output Z. What else would they be good for? Would they work as mic input transformers (1:20 ratio) with a higher secondary impedance to give a 200R(ish) input impedance, or would the inductance etc be all wrong to give decent freq response? Any kind of interstage in an EQ or compressor anyone can think of that would like a very low input impedance? Reverse them as a stepdown into a FET compressor?

Basically, can I make these do something interesting for pro-audio or should I throw them to the HiFi nuts to play with?

The JS are really valued over by the Hifi people - if it was me I'd get them over there..

As for use over here, I've used one of these in a ribbon mic, but very few other places has those low impedances and low levels

/Jakob E.

Back